LO206 Won't Start

Noonhill

I'm new to owning an lo206, I've been getting help along the way as I tinker with the kart and all its components. This morning I was working on adjusting the idle speed as it was idling high at around 3k rpm, I first started by turning the mix all the way to the right to lean it out, followed by a quarter turn to the left, I watched as the rpm dropped all the way to 1800, and from there I was having trouble keeping it idling without holding the throttle slightly. I Tried to turn the mixture screw to the left as instructed, but the rpm never went back up.

After about 6 hours of r&d to try and diagnose the problem here's a list of things I changed so far: New pulse line, fuel is flowing into the carb no problem. Spark plug is giving a spark. I took the float bowl off and there was fuel inside, emptied it and fuel is going into it. Is there anything else I could be missing that would cause my engine to not start?

edit: I have not adjusted the float height either. I pulled the pilot screw and checked to make sure it wasn't pugged up but it was clean.

Attachments

• photo_2020-12-05_17-32-31.jpg
    photo_2020-12-05_17-32-31.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 47
  • photo_2020-12-05_17-32-31 (2).jpg
    photo_2020-12-05_17-32-31 (2).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 47
I noticed that too, is that from the pilot jet? I pulled out the pilot screw I believe, I attached the picture below. the one that's at the bottom of the float bowl.

Attachments

• 1607223906642.png
    1607223906642.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 9
Yes I would call it the pilot jet .
Somewhere something seems plugged .
Take the pilot jet out try too shoot some wd-40 through that and through the carb . Also the main jet .
It looks like full disassembly and cleaning is needed .

Yes I would call it the pilot jet .
Somewhere something seems plugged .
Take the pilot jet out try too shoot some wd-40 through that and through the carb . Also the main jet .
It looks like full disassembly and cleaning is needed .
Thanks, gonna try that

You can prime the spark plug hole with a cap full of gas. If it fires and runs for a few seconds then you know it's not ignition or compression. If it doesn't run, you could be flooding it, are you getting white smoke out the exhaust when you try to start it?

I’m going to post this on My Mac Life Racing Forum on FB as well to see if we can get you some answers.
if people wanted to use facebook, we would go there.
Its not a forum if its on facebook, its a page
There are way more qualified people here to answer his question than your page.
My guess if youre taking content from here and placing it on facebook, your stay here wont be long

In 2 cycle racing, we always had a new spark plug and spark plug wrench handy at the starting line. Spark plugs do go bad, and for no apparent reason. Take them out of the engine and they spark just fine, in the engine, under compression, they don't always spark fine.

Coming out of the exhaust pipe, white smoke (not to be confused with steam) is oil, black smoke is rich (gas)

Something else, try putting your hand over the carburetor and turning the engine over with a pull start. See if it's pumping gas.

I'm new to owning an lo206, I've been getting help along the way as I tinker with the kart and all its components. This morning I was working on adjusting the idle speed as it was idling high at around 3k rpm, I first started by turning the mix all the way to the right to lean it out, followed by a quarter turn to the left, I watched as the rpm dropped all the way to 1800, and from there I was having trouble keeping it idling without holding the throttle slightly. I Tried to turn the mixture screw to the left as instructed, but the rpm never went back up.

After about 6 hours of r&d to try and diagnose the problem here's a list of things I changed so far: New pulse line, fuel is flowing into the carb no problem. Spark plug is giving a spark. I took the float bowl off and there was fuel inside, emptied it and fuel is going into it. Is there anything else I could be missing that would cause my engine to not start?

edit: I have not adjusted the float height either. I pulled the pilot screw and checked to make sure it wasn't pugged up but it was clea
You are starting to get some responses and so I will keep it brief. I know you said you are getting fire, but be absolutely positive of this. My thought is unless the internal jetting is totally plug you should be at least be getting an attempt to start. Here are some things to look for: (1) if you have had a backfire, then perhaps the flywheel has slipped, (2) if you have the valve lash so tight that one of the valves is not shutting, (3) your kill switch is malfunctioning. I have had the last two happen to me personally and I know others have indicated the first point has happened to them. Good luck, CMac

edit: I have not adjusted the float height either. I pulled the pilot screw and checked to make sure it wasn't pugged up but it was clean.
First, your Idle mixture screw is an air screw not a fuel screw. If you are turning that screw clockwise you are shutting off air and making the mixture richer. Second, previous post are correct on the pilot jet. It becomes clogged easily and can affect performance.

Clean the carb well and set your float height (.860") and float drop (1.050.)
Also run the idle adjustment screw in some so that the engine can get some air past the throttle slide at start-up.
If the idle is too high, you can always lower it back down once it starts and is running.
Let us know how things go after that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

if people wanted to use facebook, we would go there.
Its not a forum if its on facebook, its a page
There are way more qualified people here to answer his question than your page.
My guess if youre taking content from here and placing it on facebook, your stay here wont be long
You’d be surprised the number of qualified people on here that use FB. I’ve also seen numerous posts from here on FB.

Clean the carb well and set your float height (.860") and float drop (1.050.)
Also run the idle adjustment screw in some so that the engine can get some air past the throttle slide at start-up.
If the idle is too high, you can always lower it back down once it starts and is running.
Let us know how things go after that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Just too clarify . I believe Brian is saying the idle speed adjustment screw , not the air mixture adjustment .

You’d be surprised the number of qualified people on here that use FB. I’ve also seen numerous posts from here on FB.
and I still stand by my statement, plenty of qualified people here to answer the question, and if the op wanted he could of posted it there instead of here, but he doesnt need some new stranger taking his post there.
Ever wonder why Bob's has no facebook page?
Remember this forum was around long before facebook

Not to hi-jack another thread, but Bob and I have had this discussion many times over the years as Facebook has gained popularity.
There is little, to no, accountability in Facebook karting groups.
Rip-offs run rampant, misinformation even moreso, and TONS of questions about Dingos and mini-bikes on Facebook.
Not that I'm against that, but I much prefer this site for solid information from credible veterans of kart racing, engine building, tire cutting, clutch rebuilding etc. concerning their use in kart racing specific applications.
Even if we don't all agree on certain issues, I think there's a level of respect and accountability here that is not found on Facebook.

Back