Load and new rebuild - from a "newbie".

GlennR

First of all, I am new to all of this - so be gentle. I am NOT ready to be a "rebuilder" .. .. .. yet. I am in the process of rebuilding my first engine (Honda GX160 - stock OEM parts) as I venture into this retirement "venture". I have collected a couple of dozen GX's from the 160, 240, 270 etc, to work on.

I want to break in the engine without having to put it into a kart or anything. I have replaced the rings and want to put a load on the motor during a break in period, after doing a number of starting, warming up, cooling down cycles (have read numerous threads regarding seating the rings).

At this point I don't need a dyno (I don't think), just something to put a load on the motor. Thinking of a hydraulic system, a reservoir, a pump and an adjustable valve. If I reduce the flow via the valve, would that put a load on the motor (obviously the pump is connected to the motor)?

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/plans etc on this?

Glenn
(Central Ohio Area)

Personally I run my new engines like 10-15 min for first start up.. ranging in rpm with a few blurps or the gas then change oil and run it

I do it on the kart.. just to check it over. Then hit the track. At the end of the day these are (race motors) there's only 3 options in the life of a race motor. Run, have problems, or blow! Ull know what it's going to do most times after ur first track day

Would that also hold true if this engine were to be used for something other than a kart? Say for a pressure washer, cement mixer, etc? Not sure at this point what my target customer will be a kart or general use?

Thanks in advance

The hyd pump set up will work fine.
Even a drum brake on an axle with chain or belt drive would load it.

It won't matter what you put it on, don't worry about it so much. The materials and tolerances require minimal break in. Do an early oil change and go for it. The manufacturers of equipment and even automobiles do not specify a break in period.

the hydraulic system you suggest is a dyno.

Pressure x gpm / 1714 = HP.

People think to narrow minded when it comes to what a dyno is. a go kart running on track can be a dyno with the right equipment and instrumentation knowledge.

Back