local racing

I lease a race track but my kid classes are low or none show up. Any tips on how to get more kids involved? or what i can do get more karts in the classes

People will like racing there if you have a good and fair Tech tent program and the track fees are reasonable.

Sundog
Feel like track fees are pretty reasonable and tech is good. My adult classes are fine but my kid classes are hit and miss.

You're not alone in struggling to get junior class car count.
Currently we have a problem in karting with too many engine options for classes, especially for juniors. Then you've got variances from one track to the next on engines, rules, weights, tires, etc.
Then because most kart karts tracks are trying to accommodate everyone, you end up with 20 classes of karts and the program drags on into the wee hours of the morning. (no one likes that)
Lack of proper safety personnel at the track is always a concern for parents.
And we haven't even touched on all of the other things that compete for families' time.
Drive by your local soccer field on a Saturday afternoon and see how packed it is. 20 years ago, soccer was a "European" sport!
Also 20 years ago, we didn't have video games, the internet, and cell phones that kids (and parents) glue their eyes to for hours at a time.

I feel your pain.
I don't know what the answer is - possibly better promotion of our sport to youth.
Work with local schools, show karts as often as you can (shopping malls, grocery stores, etc,) and work with your local big car tracks (stage a race at intermission, or have some karts on display on their race night for parents and kids to see in person.) We've even incorporated our boys' karts into our church's VBS one year.

Too often when I tell people about kart racing, they are blown away. Their image of karting is riding around in a field on an old beater yard kart.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The biggest problem with tracks is they don’t practice what they preach. Lay the rules out and stick to them. Give them the best racing surface you can and people will come. Just give it time.

Track promotion goes a long way also. We have a person at our local track that takes the time and effort to write up a story and send a good pic to the local paper every week. Who doesn't want to see something like this every monday in the paper?
Where am I.jpg

Thanks for all the input. We only run 12 classes and usually done by 930. just trying to draw more of the kid classes is struggle in its own. But I’ll look into the advertisement and into things that will allow us to promote in our town.

Do you, in the kids classes, have racers who are a lot faster than most of the field? Could run well pretty much everywhere they go? The thing about kids in legal clones is that it costs a lot to run up front no matter what class or age group. If I was holding local shows primarily for fun I would have a box stock class with a tire rule for kids, at least the younger ones. Make it cheaper to initially get on the track and see if the kid is really into it before you take the plunge and get more serious about it.

Do you, in the kids classes, have racers who are a lot faster than most of the field? Could run well pretty much everywhere they go? The thing about kids in legal clones is that it costs a lot to run up front no matter what class or age group. If I was holding local shows primarily for fun I would have a box stock class with a tire rule for kids, at least the younger ones. Make it cheaper to initially get on the track and see if the kid is really into it before you take the plunge and get more serious about it.
I would say everyone is has about the same experience minus a couple who picked it up quick. I do offer a junior predator class.

My kid classes are hit and miss.
From this statement it sounds like you have an audience that only show up on occasion. I'd reach out to all of the parents and see what they have to say. It could be their life only allows for so many weekends to race, maybe they're at other tracks, or maybe it's a budget issue. You sound like you'd really like to know what's causing the up's & down's of participation in the JR classes. Be sure not to be offended when hearing what the folks have to say.

My schedule is opposite of one other track. Gate fee $10 entry fee $25
25 for a kids class plus a pitpass is pretty steep. Around here pitpass is 10-15 and entry fee 5-10. As a parent i was reluctant to put kids in a flat kart, especially starting out. I let my oldest run a friends kart a couple times after he had been racing a year and he about got bucked out a couple times when the wrecked. If you dont have cage classes you might look into that.

From this statement it sounds like you have an audience that only show up on occasion. I'd reach out to all of the parents and see what they have to say. It could be their life only allows for so many weekends to race, maybe they're at other tracks, or maybe it's a budget issue. You sound like you'd really like to know what's causing the up's & down's of participation in the JR classes. Be sure not to be offended when hearing what the folks have to say.
I would love for more juniors to show up and race. The classes are always available if any do

I would love for more juniors to show up and race. The classes are always available
25 for a kids class plus a pitpass is pretty steep. Around here pitpass is 10-15 and entry fee 5-10. As a parent i was reluctant to put kids in a flat kart, especially starting out. I let my oldest run a friends kart a couple times after he had been racing a year and he about got bucked out a couple times when the wrecked. If you dont have cage classes you might look into that.
unfortunately no champs are in the area. I’ve offered this class as well and only had a few show up. I’ll look into see what I can do differently. I’m appreciating everyone’s input. just would like see more in my junior classes

Back