Looking for a starter!

Blakec9

Hello, I am looking for a starter to turn over a CRF450. I am new to the UAS stuff and not sure what works best or where to order something from. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you have something for sale I would also be interested in that. Thanks

Blake

Do yourself a favor and call Kurt Burris at 714-375-3500 and then get a 'Marine Deepcell' battery from your local auto parts store. That starter and battery combo will SPIN that 450.

Has anyone tried to use RC batteries for their starter? I have read a couple things about them working really well and you don't need a cart to haul around a big old battery, but I have not spoke with anyone that has actually tried it.

Nothing like getting to the grid after all you're hard work only to have a cheap or crap battery or starter fail . Why build it if you can't start it lol later Chuck.

Race car, and stereo places have high power, lightweight batteries available.

16 volt also a possibility.

If it will start a 900hp late model engine, it should start most uas engines.

I use a starter that is bigger than a mini light don't know the brand. I use a lawnmower battery the high cca. From rual King. Little heavy not bad.if your decompresser is set right it cranks right up. I have been meaning to check on a litham bat. A guy told me you can get one that will start a harley for around $100 in Corbin ky . I also see them on Amazon

Back in my silver crown days we used a huge starter and batteries but other then that I don't have much experience with external starters. The other thing I have to keep in mind is who is actually going to be starting it sometimes. It might possibly be my wife, (135 lbs.) I need it to be as safe as possible.... I don't mind just ordering one from Burris but my build it yourself attitude makes me wonder why the Burris is so expensive. Buying a high end heavy duty gear reduction starter from Napa or Jegs seems to be roughly 150-200$. I dont see paying 4-500$ for something that seems pretty simple to build. Flattop, the clone idea could be cool!! That would turn some heads LOL

I have a friend that uses a mini light with a car battery on a ,2 wheel Dolly he made the cable from jumper cables.

The gear drive starter on my f350 diesel is open nose . Light and powerful .
Theres a couple threads about build your own starter .
The ol ford fe starters were lon shaft but no gear reduction so might be hard for a smaller preson to hold .
Subaru legacy and toyota were the two mentioned the toyota was an odd name.

Honest to God . Dave used a 250 honda engine too start his Modified Sporster hillclimber . The Harley folks Loved it .
Another guy Wadell , built his outa a chain saw to start a 4 cylinder yamaha and Triumph twin Climber.
Both were super cool and functional .

Back