Looking for a starter!

Ok guy's this isn't rocket science how about a good gear reduction started and Rv/ marine battery lol later Chuck.
Only real issue is that most common starters rotate the wrong direction for direct starting 4 cycle industrial engines.

Therein lies the science to make it work.

Only a starter that engages the flywheel from the transmission side will be rotating the correct direction.

Last edited:
Ok guy's this isn't rocket science how about a good gear reduction started and Rv/ marine battery lol later Chuck.
Yea i was going to build one . Bought the starter from the junkyard .
Bought a coleman . Push the button vroom vroom .
The starter still laying in the next bin ;)...

Flattop, can you attach a link to the Coleman you bought. What size engine are you running. I wouldn't mind another alternative to the Burris. $400 and still having to buy a battery just seems overpriced to me. I'm new to the big engine game though so maybe its not out of line?

My old starter died last week( RIP) it was a 1968 Peugeot with a shaft that extends through both ends . It's been in use since 1972 almost weekly. With that old bugger it would start left and right hand engines. Worked great for my twin enduro and twin dirt stuff. With the extended shaft you had to be careful not to get a shirt caught it the bendix. Lol it was not a gear reduction and until last week it started 270, 500 Jawa, 500Gm, 450Honda. Never let me down until last week when it finally **** the bed. Never find one now that would be 1/2 as good lol later Chuck.

So I found a gear reduction starter that TS racing sells. ($190). Does anyone have any experience with these starters? Then I can pick up a good battery and should be set.

Talk to Raymond at TS he should be able to verify that the starter will work for you're application he's been around the block a few times later Chuck.

Burris or Bust
The proof is in the pudding
64648BC3-1D08-4619-A7C3-E28B47CAC9FF.jpeg
BE566620-4DC7-4173-A976-17A2D19D8B37.jpeg
926E111C-19B4-4F8B-B923-A963EB35465C.jpeg

The mini starters will and do work, however they do not roll high compression engines as fast as they need to. The drag creates excess heat in the starter motor creating more drag slowing rotation further overheating. Next thing you know your little wires and battery are smoking... lol

only starter I know of that will effortlessly fire a flooded alky motor 🤷🏻‍♂️...

So the order I put in from TSracing has been cancelled....... I guess Coleman cant get them built at the moment and are on national back order???? I cancelled that order and from the looks of it Burris is the only company to have anything. Any other suggestions before I fork out the $400 on a Burris starter :(

So the order I put in from TSracing has been cancelled....... I guess Coleman cant get them built at the moment and are on national back order???? I cancelled that order and from the looks of it Burris is the only company to have anything. Any other suggestions before I fork out the $400 on a Burris starter :(
Just do it, you will not be disappointed.

For the money that's already tied up in the kart you won't be disappointed with the Burris, like Mr. Bob( tecbigdog) said way back in post2 few it all comes down to the almighty$ lol later Chuck.

We use a Coleman starter like this to fire up our fleet of VC460 powered rental karts in freezing temps. Down as low as -15f it still cranked plenty fast. The burris one looks even beefier though.

CF98E6F5-6338-4E54-AE22-9AD2099F9FC4.jpeg

Back