Looking for a starter!

In comparison, the VC engines are lower compression, have compression release,
True, I figured starting 6 to 12 of them at once under freezing temps counts for something.
For some reason ours don't have a release on the cam and they seem to pump about 220-240 psi.

Maybe someone younger than can start them multiple times a day with a cord, I'd probably die half way through the first session.

True, I figured starting 6 to 12 of them at once under freezing temps counts for something.
For some reason ours don't have a release on the cam and they seem to pump about 220-240 psi.

Maybe someone younger than can start them multiple times a day with a cord, I'd probably die half way through the first session.
I can still feel the hurt in my shoulder from my first recoil starter modified flathead lol

My experience when I help my friends start the rentals at their tracks in Europe is that most times what prevents them from starting when cold is the wet clutch fluid that doesn't allow them to turn easy with the rope. Simple solution through: lift the rear (I know, rentals, especially modern ones with all those plastics, are heavy) and put an old wheel, or a piece of wood, whatever. with the rear up they should start way easier.

AHHH.. Ok now I need some other suggestions. Coleman starter out of stock, Burris starter is out of stock and they don't know when they will get more. I tried Burris directly, TSracing and also Uncle Franks online and they are unable to find anyone that has one. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where to locate a starter at to crank a big engine high compression?

Burris said they would call me when they had a time frame of when they would be back in stock...... I have not gotten a returned phone call yet.

If ur Honda crf450r still has its compression release you can use any starter. The same one I start my LO206s, and my big blocks EASILY start my crf 450. My Honda has a 12:1 compression ratio and big ass valves.

My experience when I help my friends start the rentals at their tracks in Europe is that most times what prevents them from starting when cold is the wet clutch fluid that doesn't allow them to turn easy with the rope
Yeah the oil clutches don't help in those situations... We're running dry clutches for that reason. We have one kart with a wet clutch on a test mule and yeah, it likes to drive away when it's cold and they take a LONG time to heat up in the cold weather.

Boy63 I got my Burris last week and put a 900 CCA battery with it and it cranks my 14:1 450 over like its not even there. I would highly recommend the HD Burris starter as most of these guys recommended to me.

Boy63 I got my Burris last week and put a 900 CCA battery with it and it cranks my 14:1 450 over like its not even there. I would highly recommend the HD Burris starter as most of these guys recommended to me.
If you just keep it clean and keep the battery charged, you will never have a starting problem and when/if you decide to get out of karting, sell it for $250-? and have a party with the money. Glad it worked out.

Yeah, Chuck, It is amazing. Most of the people that responded have never tried to solve the problem. Yes, a Coleman gear drive with a Marine Deep cell battery WILL, repeat WILL start the stock untouched 450-500's, that is until you put that 'Can Of Compression' in them. Then, they will start stripping out the Bendix mechanism (at a mere $45 a pop) about every three races and leave you setting on the grid. You now have about $200 invested in a starter that requires between 2-3 overhauls during the race season (at $45 minimum each). You now have about $350 invested in a starter that continually is 'iffy' and it has cost you 2-3 races and has a value of about $50. Now, After only a very short period of time, you now really start improving the performance of that big engine and now it runs like a scalded dog. Gee, will that affect the longevity of the starter????????? Back to the original problem!!!!!!!! Darn, Just one problem after another.

Back