looking for advice on kart purchase

theduke69

Have a good friend that is getting out of karting and i am going to get into it after a few years off, said he would sell me one of his karts as a roller, 1 is a 2010 Ultramax badmax, the other is an 05 phantom phenom, which would you choose, i know the ultramax doesn't have the round front and i have never ran a kart that wasnt older then an 03 lol

Have a good friend that is getting out of karting and i am going to get into it after a few years off, said he would sell me one of his karts as a roller, 1 is a 2010 Ultramax badmax, the other is an 05 phantom phenom, which would you choose, i know the ultramax doesn't have the round front and i have never ran a kart that wasnt older then an 03 lol
I could be wrong but don't think they made the Badmax as late as 2010 I'd say it's little older, When you say round front ????
Will you be night racing more ? OR daytime shows ? On which Tires ? Which class and weight will you race in ?

If they have been taken care of equally. I would go with the Phenom. The Badmax was a updated version of a earlier ultramax design I think it was a centerforce.Just my opinion

buy them, ALL AND EVERYTHING he has. you'll cough up a bunch of extra money on the front end, but you should get a better deal getting it all... if he's actually getting out. this will give you a great parts selection and stuff you can turn around and sell once you've had time to play with it to see if you like it. never turn down a buy out that's priced right.

Little bit outside of Kc
Well man, if you get up and running, I hope to see you at the track. Emma is racing right now and I believe KC Raceway starts April 10th. I run in the predator hoosier/treaded class myself and the class fields are usually pretty small there. The big classes are the predator slicks class.

I don't know the answer to this but I bet the other guys do, I would pick the one that is less tire sensitive and will do ok on less than perfect and new tires. Might save yourself some $$$. Fellas, is one better than the other in this regard?

Well man, if you get up and running, I hope to see you at the track. Emma is racing right now and I believe KC Raceway starts April 10th. I run in the predator hoosier/treaded class myself and the class fields are usually pretty small there. The big classes are the predator slicks class.
On that note....DON'T get caught up in thinking that slicks are faster than the treads. Mike let me run with them a couple times....first time out I ran the whole field, of which included the top few points leaders...next couple times placed very well and my times were normally the fastest or right there with the fastest.
If you're running predator class for the predator motor I'd HIGHLY suggest treads. I only went through 2-1/2 sets as I started out on a set that was already down on tread. Could've easily done it on 2 new sets for the season. There's no tire game to it!!!! No prep, no cleaning day of....the dust that comes off with the tires is the same that goes back on the next heat/feature race of that day.
If you're running predator in hopes to step up to a clone then go with the slicks class. That'll get you into the tire game as that's the only incentive I see for that class without completely breaking the bank.

On that note....DON'T get caught up in thinking that slicks are faster than the treads. Mike let me run with them a couple times....first time out I ran the whole field, of which included the top few points leaders...next couple times placed very well and my times were normally the fastest or right there with the fastest.
If you're running predator class for the predator motor I'd HIGHLY suggest treads. I only went through 2-1/2 sets as I started out on a set that was already down on tread. Could've easily done it on 2 new sets for the season. There's no tire game to it!!!! No prep, no cleaning day of....the dust that comes off with the tires is the same that goes back on the next heat/feature race of that day.
If you're running predator in hopes to step up to a clone then go with the slicks class. That'll get you into the tire game as that's the only incentive I see for that class without completely breaking the bank.
Predator treads is a great way to dip a toe in for sure.

I personally went treaded because of the finances. Its a budget class for a reason. That's not to say we aren't competitive, we are. We just don't have to keep juicing tires between races.

The BadMax was made up until 2012. It was built as an economy chassis but then took off as a great “Saturday night” chassis. Heck it even won the king of the concrete one year. The BadMax is a great kart that if your staying at the local level and still be competitive......

Back