Looking for speed

Surveyor

At Baps I was 1.196 slower than the leader and 1.521 at Lincoln. I can not say I am disappointed as I have come a long way this year, but am wondering what to go after first. This is box stock predator class

Maintenance wise I am running 2 year old bearings, worn chain (would not think this hurts speed), have not done anything to motor (can have a 31 jet, no indexing of spark plug, did not check gasket fit in intake/ exhaust, etc.)

Gearing I ran max of 4812at BAPS and 4596 at Lincoln which was well below my goal of 4900.

Tires. BAPS is open tire and I think Maxxis was the correct tire. I was on Burris 33 date code 2017 (newest I have but cords showing) and wiped a little TT orange).

Setup I think I am close so let's not consider that at this time.

I know all of them matter, but where is the biggest loss. I am assuming tires but wondering if thier is that much to gain in tires or not.

PS my driving also needs to improve so I realize there is no magic fix here just looking for direction on where to next put time and money.

Thanks for all the help and input. Enjoying racing way more than anticipated thanks to you guys getting me in the pack.

Why chain? I am not against getting a new one, I would have thought as long as it is not at the point of breaking, in the box stock class the looser/ worn chain would be good.

At Baps I was 1.196 slower than the leader and 1.521 at Lincoln. I can not say I am disappointed as I have come a long way this year, but am wondering what to go after first. This is box stock predator class

Maintenance wise I am running 2 year old bearings, worn chain (would not think this hurts speed), have not done anything to motor (can have a 31 jet, no indexing of spark plug, did not check gasket fit in intake/ exhaust, etc.)

Gearing I ran max of 4812at BAPS and 4596 at Lincoln which was well below my goal of 4900.

Tires. BAPS is open tire and I think Maxxis was the correct tire. I was on Burris 33 date code 2017 (newest I have but cords showing) and wiped a little TT orange).

Setup I think I am close so let's not consider that at this time.

I know all of them matter, but where is the biggest loss. I am assuming tires but wondering if thier is that much to gain in tires or not.

PS my driving also needs to improve so I realize there is no magic fix here just looking for direction on where to next put time and money.

Thanks for all the help and input. Enjoying racing way more than anticipated thanks to you guys getting me in the pack.
With the low kart count at BAPS the right 33s would have been better than MOST guy's on Maxxis , short of the real good tire guy's and 2017s with the cords showing wiped with a little real mild prep was FAR from the right 33s , a 2022 from say this may or june somewhat cured, round cut 33s with maybe 2 heat cycles on them, can't say for sure not being there to see track myself but from the discription i was given, you might of had to wipe them with a little medium prep with like 11 lb air in rights and 10 lb in lefts would have probably picked up 1 full sec per lap however with gaining that much roll speed you would have had to pull 1 tooth for sure probably 2 teeth off the rear and you would have turned closer 4900 rpm, Don't worry about the motor the older the looser everything moves inside, as long as the rear axle spins real freely by hand and there is no shift play in the bearings don't worry about the bearings or chain either. Now had there been 300 + entries like normal then maxxis with high air would have been better, but they would of had to be new set fresh with like 90 cc of internal fresh roll. Plus the fact at least 1 or maybe more of the front runners had DUCAR engines on gave them probably 2 th with everything else being right. If you have more questions you know how to reach me.

Why chain? I am not against getting a new one, I would have thought as long as it is not at the point of breaking, in the box stock class the looser/ worn chain would be good.
Wore out rollers cause more drag.
More to a chain than just breaking.
Old bearings and a wore out chain could cost you a few spots on the track

DO NOT lift your foot off the gas, it is fatal in box stocks because it takes forever to get the engine back up to where it can make power. Drag the brake as much as necessary but don't lift. And yes all of the advice abo
ve certainly applies. Your lower than desired rpms are the result of slow corner speeds due to those tires.

Baps was slick like RP said not enough kart count. This was our second time out in predator first time total flop.
Took last years Triton (Just sitting collecting dust) cleaned 2 year old bearings and chain ran Maxxis 8 race's old from clone 375 at Baps with medium prep and only 7# L 8# R finished 4th. 2nd 3rd predators 1st 4th & 5th Ducars.

I don't have a Dino but am typically told 4800 goal, i assume on a track with a long straight maybe a little higher max? 375 class

It was fun, but not what I would call a box stock track. You don't want to many restarts and even driving on caution laps I could smell the clutch sometimes

Back