Looking for speed

What racing promotor said.

Nominal 4/10 mile; we have run a 600 micro there a number of times, and ours would reach (calculated off hitting the rev limiter, based on RR tire circumference and no allowance for tire growth, so the calculation is conservative) 94 miles an hour. Fred Rahmer remarked to me that that was a pretty decent speed, considering that he (at that time, many years ago) had 625 more hp and reached 115 when he had to let off.

Definitely a track for tall gearing, lol.

How ironic years back we ran what we called winged outlaws at the time, regular flat kart chassis with a bolt on cage with a wing on it, looked like min replicas of full blown sprint car, with what the guys called blockzilla engines, at Port Royal speedway on the big track and they went 94 mph and got some of the 410 drivers attention how fast they were, the guy's running them raced karts for years and came off the track saying that's as fast as they ever care to go an inch and a half off the track surface.

I am chiming in with barely a year of experience getting my son started; however, I will say, you'd be shocked at how some of the smallest, seemingly simply things add up to make speed. My boy started fast and then plateaud. I kept pestering him about how he was driving and making sure he was not lifting or dragging the brake. But when all of those were no longer the issue, we started really diving in to the nitty gritty of the kart. A new chain. Cleaning the floorpan and parts between races. Cleaning or replacing the spark plug and chain. Every last bit of it, no matter how seemingly insignificant just started to add up (or take away, I suppose). It would be a tenth of a second here or a hudredth there. Basic maintenance alone went from him having his teeth kicked in and lapped, to at least on the lead lap and in contention. After that we were able to hone in one where to spend our money and effort in terms of set-up, tires, upgrades, and the like. Before you start looking for big problems, make sure its not the details.

Just a little side note. #35 chain and #219 chain are NOT roller chain. Roller chain doesn't start until you get into 1/2" pitch chain like #41, #420, #40 chain. #35 chain is continuous link chain that is beating the crap out of both the clutch sprocket and the axle sprocket. It is what you call false advertising on the box when it calls it roller chain-- there are no rollers in the #35 chain and #219 chain. This is why the #35 sprockets wear so quickly on the clutch.

Jeremy - I make sprockets for a living so i have to know why they wear out. You show me a roller on the #35 chain and I will be the first to admit I am wrong.

35 roller chain is rollerless chain unlike other ANSI standard roller chains which have rollers. PEER Chain provides ANSI/ASME standard roller chains from size ... This is straight from google and a continuation of an education which is why we have sites like this so we all learn a little something.

Paragraph #2 .
Screenshot_20221115-091202.png

35 roller chain is rollerless chain unlike other ANSI standard roller chains which have rollers. PEER Chain provides ANSI/ASME standard roller chains from size ... This is straight from google and a continuation of an education which is why we have sites like this so we all learn a little something.
(Edit) I think this could be right, I took apart a Regina, no rollers. I'd have to check but looking at the size I can see why there are no rollers. Not enough room.

Last edited:
For your own education and verification take a needle nose plyer and see if you can rotate the spacer on your #35 chain 360 degrees. You will now find out it doesn't roll because it is pinched between the plates. Roller chain starts at 1/2" pitch. Call a chain manufacturer and ask them if they make #35 chain with rollers and if you find one that does give me their name so I can buy the chain because the 8 different style #35 chains we have on our shelf there isn't one that is a roller chain.

NitroChain.com​

465 S. Royal Ave.,
Belgium, WI. 53004
US
800-982-3141

Jeremy -- it just take 3 minutes of your time to finish your education. Call them up and ask them if they make ROLLER chain in the #35, I just did and they said NOBODY makes a roller in the number 35 chain. Like I originally said these sites are for informed education and that is all I am trying to do is set the record straight, there is no such thing as #35 chain with rollers. They beat a sprocket to death which is why when you spin out on a track and go backwards you should toss the chain when you get in because now it is stretched and it will even beat the sprocket to death even faster.

Back