Looking for speed

Why chain? I am not against getting a new one, I would have thought as long as it is not at the point of breaking, in the box stock class the looser/ worn chain would be good.
Loose or worn chain will change the pitch of the chain and cause binding when in contact with the gears. Take the chain off. Lay it on a flat surface. Push all of the links together. Make a reference mark at both ends. pull the links away making the chain longer. if the chain moves beyond the reference marks more than half a link i would replace the chain. This also keeps premature wear off the gears.

While on the subject does the gear being worn effect chain drag also? I have a new chain (well 2 for the year) and most of my sprockets are in good shape, but I have 1 driver and a couple of gears that are pretty worn. With running box stock I am not worried about breaking them, just wondering about added drag.

I would say yes to drag. Again the pitch of the chain and gear teeth aren’t matching up properly. A worn gear will change its pitch diameter letting the chain drop in deeper on the teeth.

Just my opinion.
Box stock class- spend your time on tires , gearing and Setup. In that order. Worry about the small stuff once you get that down.

Back