Looking for startup information. Charlotte, NC Area

I live near the Charlotte, NC area and have a 8 soon to be 9 year old that I am thinking of getting into karting. I raced myself back in the early 2000's but I know a lot has changed since that time. What class should he be running? Looking to run local tracks for the first year to get some experience under his belt then maybe a few bigger races the years after. He has some experience on indoor karts, like Victory Lane Karting in Charlotte, and did very well with the speed of the karts there, if anyone has ever been.

Thanks in advance for any responses and information provided.

You live in the epicenter of karting. Thinking of racing on asphalt or dirt?
My background is in dirt, so I am leaning that way but am open to asphalt like the GoPro Complex, just not sure how much they race each month.
Back to dirt do the Jr. classes run clones or predators?

My background is in dirt, so I am leaning that way but am open to asphalt like the GoPro Complex, just not sure how much they race each month.
Back to dirt do the Jr. classes run clones or predators?
You'll have to check your tracks, BUT should be mostly clones for Jr classes the predator is just starting to take off some and not all tracks offer that option yet. Also confirm which rule for clone you have NKA small pipes mostly or AKRA with a mix of pipe size, your most likely NKA rule.

How often do they race? Every weekend or monthly?
Nick's contact info is in the article and I would ping him for details. He has a pretty impressive program going out of GoPro and I think he goes to a lot of the big national races too. We race Lo206 sprint in a different part of the country and we typically race every 2 weeks at our home track (but we could race every weekend if we wanted to).

Kirby, I am also in the Charlotte area. PM me if you like and let me know where you're at and I can point you in the right direction. LOTS of options around the area, although not as many as there were 20 years ago.

Bump, I'm also just getting into karting with my 6-year old who has shown some interest. I'm in the Winston-Salem area, so will be spending some time at GoPro Motorplex. Ideally I'd like to let him test a kart out before I drop $2k+ on a used kart and gear, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Nick's contact info is in the article and I would ping him for details. He has a pretty impressive program going out of GoPro and I think he goes to a lot of the big national races too. We race Lo206 sprint in a different part of the country and we typically race every 2 weeks at our home track (but we could race every weekend if we wanted to).
Deleted, Where do you race?

Back