Looking into purchasing a truck. Need some help.

If there are any people on here who sell car insurance and any car salesman’s please PM me. I have a question about a vehicle I am looking at. Or if you have capabilities to run a vin number. Thank you!

Theres online car fax available.
Assuming its a private sale .
Otherwise any dealership has that ability.
I like to see the original owners manual in them . That shows they cared a little about the vehicle . Service records as well .
Are you concerned its a rebuilt / salvage ?

Theres online car fax available.
Assuming its a private sale .
Otherwise any dealership has that ability.
I like to see the original owners manual in them . That shows they cared a little about the vehicle . Service records as well .
Are you concerned its a rebuilt / salvage ?
So heres the deal. It was a stolen and recovered vehicle. Priced very well. It was then bought by a guy who took all the correct steps to get a new vin, it has a new title. It's a clean and clear Missouri title he has it in hand. He went through highway patrol and the DMV to get all the steps corrected. Its a very nice pickup and I want to make sure I won't face any issues. I want to have vin checked to make sure that it wasn't completely trashed. I did a small search on vin. No reported accidents. Only 1 reported theft. He is able to fully insure it though with full coverage. I have a guy checking vin for me into detail. An attorney told me that I won't face any issues after he saw the paperwork and stuff. It's just a big gamble I feel. I am not worried about resale value or anything. It will just be cheaper to drive than my diesel. I just want 100 percent confirmation I won't have issues with insurance. Also I am wanting to sell my truck. I have been told if I trade it then I will only pay the sales tax on the difference. If I sell my truck and then go buy this truck I wont get the credit for sales tax correct?

I just want to know what happened when it was stolen and the extent of damage. I am not to concerned with resale value or anything just want to make sure I can make it legal and get insurance.

Mine was a salvage It was no issue .
Now as far as insurance I'd call your insurance person .
again on the tax best too call the county or whomever you get the tags from .
But that sounds right pay the difference on the value .
the previous owner should be listed on the title . Possibly you could contact them as well .

Who cares if it was trashed as long as it was fixed properly? You need to buy it cheap enough so you can sell it cheap. Most buyers will look at it as damaged goods and reject without looking. Is the title stamped Rebuilt?

Who cares if it was trashed as long as it was fixed properly? You need to buy it cheap enough so you can sell it cheap. Most buyers will look at it as damaged goods and reject without looking. Is the title stamped Rebuilt?
It has a new vin and new title I believe.

:) The old 7.3 has around 321 , 0000 Still pulls like the Dicken's .
You sure its going to give better mileage ? I've found claims to be unrealistick .
Especially the local every day miles .
Example : the Towncar gets 22 on the open road , only 14.6 local

It’s a 2016 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the twin turbos. It also has a 10 gallon bigger tank than my current truck. It’s all stock even tire size. My 09 Duramax has 33s and it gets better gas mileage now that I have done my mods but it’s also the fuel is cheaper and it should get better mileage. We have another Duramax so if I need to tow a bigger trailer I will just use that.

My buddy has one and he can gets great fuel mileage and loves it. Never been a big ford fan but they are beating trucks at least that year. And it’s the platinum. So it’s fully loaded. I will essentially be breaking even with this truck. It’s so hard to believe I will be in a 7 year newer truck and it has half the miles of my Duramax and it’s the same price. Market is insane. It also helps my Duramax has a good bit of parts on it and it has nice wheels and tires and it’s fully loaded and the motor only has 110k miles but body has 310k

It is over 80 bucks to fill my truck right now. That’s every week. I am just in high school and I am always at work so I don’t do much driving and it’s still that much. Although it is the cheapest I have ever paid for diesel. Last summer when I started driving was expensive.

Last time diesel went high i bought a chevy half ton .
Pass anything but a gas station.
Was not any cheaper then the 7.3

First motorcycle I purchased had a "new" vin after being stolen (it was a sticker, placed on top of the old VIN.) I didn't have any issues. Never had full coverage on anything though, for some reason they don't mind taking my money for liability, last time I inquired about getting full coverage I was told that they weren't interested.

Had friends that traded vehicles, always thought they were getting a deal. Never really worked out that way.

$80 to fill your tank might seem like a lot, if that's what you are worried about, I would sell that dmax outright and buy a Honda or something. You'll pocket some money and get the fuel milage.

Vehicles are overrated. Was never super concerned about them in high school, one time I bought a car that I thought was cool, it lasted a day before it lost the clutch and had some sort of gremlin after that. In a better financial situation and still not real worried about them. Prefer mine to be $2k or less, no need to for full coverage, cheap registration, and I don't have to worry about something happening to them. Although, whenever I drive a rental or someone else's new cars, I do get the itch, think ditching out $50K wouldn't be that bad, then I remember all of the peripheral costs.

Here's how to do your math, determine how many miles you drive each year. Let's say.... 10,000

Hypothetically, depending on how you drive and what you did to your duramax, you should be getting roughly 18mpg no trailer. Fuel at $4 a gallon for easy math is $2,200 a year for fuel.

That ecoboost will average roughly 22mpg, easy math is fuel at $3.50, $1600 per year for that 10k miles.

Now here is the real kicker.... do you actually use that diesel for what it was built for, or did you buy it just to have a diesel? If you tow anything at all, that could be a consideration. If you're towing kart trailers a few weeks a year, get the gasser. If you're hooked up to cattle trailers, car haulers, bigger RV's, etc. roll on with the duramax.

Anecdotally, everyone I know has had to replace the turbos on their ecoboost trucks after about 150k. Usually to the tune of around $5,000. Cost of maintenance items should also be considered.

Personally, go to your local DMV, or call the state. They can tell you what's up title wise. Call your insurance agent for that side.

I know what I'd pick, but that's because I like bowties and the green handle.

My 2014 F -150 3.5 turbo gets no where close to that mileage. I am a land surveyor. Lots of short local trips and I get around 14.5 -15. And lots of mountains in central PA. Remember, if you changed tire size and did not reprogram the speed sensor it is not calculating correctly.

I have never owned a diesel, but I would expect parts for heavy duty diesels are more when needed. Maybe needed less often?

Not sure what changes were made after 2014, I know somewhere they made a change that got much better mileage. And the couple of times I have got to take a trip it did better, but I seldom get to converter lock locally.

Back