Looking to get back into JR2 need advice

After a year and a half off we are looking to get my son back into JR2. We had an OTK STVK before and really liked it. Only downside was we were on our own for setup help. Thinking about the new STV 450, but the Birel AM29 is about $600 cheaper. And also looking at other options. Any advice on what kart to buy, and where, that will help with setup? I also realize that resale on an OTK is pretty decent, but not so much on other brands. We’ll be moving up to Tag in a couple years so I need to take that into consideration also. Thanks in advance.

If I wanted a kart to last for years in different classes I'd call Margay and see what they say.

If I wanted a kart to last for years in different classes I'd call Margay and see what they say.
Sorry I didn’t mean that I want a chassis that will work for JR2 and tag. I meant I’m considering resale value when we sell it and get a tag chassis.

We like our STV 450. Works very well in Senior, but see no reason why it wouldn’t work great in JR2, as well. We just ordered 2 new ones. Where are you located? I have a used 2020 if you’re interested.

If I was going to buy a Jr2 chassis, run it for a while then sell it and buy a Tag chassis I would call Margay.

Sundog

Setup help is overrated if the kart is actually good. A baseline setup on an OTK is good 90% of the time. I think the 2cycle kart is better than the STV450. I’ve yet to ever be impressed with the 450.

Setup help is overrated if the kart is actually good. A baseline setup on an OTK is good 90% of the time. I think the 2cycle kart is better than the STV450. I’ve yet to ever be impressed with the 450.
Resale value will also be even higher with the 2cycle kart since it’s the most used overall kart in the US without question.

In your opinion, what makes the 401 better than the STV450? I agree with the resale value. Thats a good one. Do you know many folks running the STV450? Or maybe you have first hand experience?

I have no hidden agenda with this question. Its December; I'm bored and curious.

In your opinion, what makes the 401 better than the STV450? I agree with the resale value. Thats a good one. Do you know many folks running the STV450? Or maybe you have first hand experience?

I have no hidden agenda with this question. Its December; I'm bored and curious.
Also, to be clear, I am not 2nd guessing Gary’s advice. He has never led me wrong. I am just trying to pick his brain. If he told me to run 30 psi in the LF and 10 psi in the RF, I can tell you I’d at least try it.

I know three people that have ran the stv450 and none were impressed with it. One was considerably faster going to the 401 the following year. Another was much better on an eagle and the other was faster on a VLR. I cannot confirm but heard from a reliable source the tubing is not the same on both karts. I can confirm the caster setting is considerably different which is likely due to the tubing difference more than anything. Some Canadians I spoke with say they prefer the stv450 in the middle of summer so some don’t feel the same as I do.

Back