Looking to get into karting

noahfee

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this karting scene. Looking to get my son (6) into it. All my knowledge is around micros and sprint cars, so go easy on me here if I ask some stupid questions!

-What is the difference in size for rookie kart vs adult kart? Same? I've also read to stay away from kid karts because they are a nightmare to resell, and to adjust an adult kart to kid.
-Difference in blue and pink Maxxis?
-What motor (cc) is rookie class? All I've found is "red plate .375 small pipe..." Just stock Harbor Freight motor?
Looking to race dirt around KC area (Independence and Emma) if that helps...

Also, if you have anything for sale for cheap ($1K-ish) around race ready, let me know. Obviously not looking for a high quality kart, just something cheap for him to put around in and practice for a while. Thanks!

Mo predator racer has one for sale he is in sw mo .
Clone is 196cc predator is 212 cc.
Kid karts a small sized with differnt engines typically a 50cc comer .
Flat karts are basiclly one size w. Kid run them with seat sized accordingly and the pedals adjusted too fit . 42 inch wheel base .
blues are for the left side , pinks on the right .
Red plate 375 should be a clone engine . Verify with track .

Welcome!
I highly suggest kid karts. Not sure who told you about reselling stuff but when I looked for one they were no where to found. Making them extremly valuable to me anyway.

Kid karts typically start from a stop, unlike every other class has a rolling start. Most tracks completly understand and embrace this being a striclty LEARNING/fun class too. Not so lenient in the full size kart classes for kids.

I also recommend stock engine classes. Only because ive been at it almost 2 years and still dont fully understand what a clone is lol and/or why they all cost 1000+. Also, all these faster karts call their builders after every race, confused on why theyre not fast or having problems. Stock engines are more DIY for lower budget/ new guys. Imo

The kid karts at our track let you run quite a few different, basically stock engines and they are a blast to watch learn and grow. Especially at 6 years old.

Good luck in all that you do! Youve come to the right place for sure lol

Shoot bud I would sell you my kart and get you hooked up with a used set of maxxis on wheels and I could build you a predator to fit the rules at Twister Alley in Southwest Missouri. I can also give you the number to the best tire guy period!!! He is in Kansas City too and he is amazing!! Shoot me a message on here and I will give you any info you need and help with whatever. If you PM me we can exchange numbers and I can help you with anything. One thing to note is I am not full of info about karting but this site is and there are a few people that race where I race that will help you aswell!

My suggestion would be to go to the track/tracks you are interested in racing at and talk to the guys there. Look at the kart counts of kid karts vs jr1 class. With kid karts there could be several or none. They are a hit or miss class at most tracks. The perks to an adult chassis are that you can set up for a kid and as they grow you don't have to switch chassis. Also look into cage karts, they give the kid a lot more protection than a flat kart and sometimes they make mama happier knowing that they are strapped in and in a cage if they were to wreck. Good luck on your venture into kart racing.

The track I run at in rookie and jr1 most kids just run an adult chassis. I have seen one kid kart ever. Everyone runs predator or clone in rookie but in jr1 and jr2 I believe it is only clone and then in jr3 it is only clone.

Yes the definition's can be misleading .
A rookie would typically be a full size flat kart .
Kid karts are miniature versions .
Also not "Lto" left turn only. For a kid kart .
Cage , wing or spotsman all have some type of roll bar affair .
Some even have suspension .

They run Quarter Midgets where I race at but I am not a fan but would be a great thing to get a kid into since it has cage and harness and stuff like that

My suggestion would be to go to the track/tracks you are interested in racing at and talk to the guys there. Look at the kart counts of kid karts vs jr1 class. With kid karts there could be several or none. They are a hit or miss class at most tracks. The perks to an adult chassis are that you can set up for a kid and as they grow you don't have to switch chassis. Also look into cage karts, they give the kid a lot more protection than a flat kart and sometimes they make mama happier knowing that they are strapped in and in a cage if they were to wreck. Good luck on your venture into kart racing.
This is good advice above. You don't state your sons age so advice on a kid kart may not be applicable at all. If you want your son to just putt around find a parking lot somewhere. Racing, any racing, is serious if you don't approach it in that manner I assure you those that race against you do.

I think we’re leaning towards caged karts (at my wife’s request) lol. Thanks.

Back