Looking to get my 5 year old started

KJCRacing

I am thinking seriously about jumping into the Karting world with my soon to be 5 year old. We went to our local track @ Woodleaf Speedway Friday night, and he loved it!!! I have also been looking at the website at Liberty Raceway Park which is not too far from us ( We plan to visit the track next Saturday). So one thing I may need some advice on is which class to start him in? I saw on L.R.P. website that they have a Kid Kart Class that says to call for more info. They also have a beginner red plate class for kids 5-7 years old. Is a red Plate beginner a regular kart with clone engine, and restrictor plate? I have been looking around for used karts. Now I may be wrong but my take on the two differences between the two are that the kid kart can only race in the kid kart class, where as the red plate kart could be used to grow with him as he gets older / more experienced. I spoke to a friend that used to race karts when his kids were younger, and he said he would start with a kid kart because they are cheaper to get and work on. Just to make sure it is something he is really into, but I hate to spend what seems to be about the same amount of $ for either just to have to sale the kid kart in a year to upgrade to another kart. I appreciate any, and all feedback I can get on this subject. As I said this is all brand new to me but I am excited to get started.

When they say call about kid class that is what you need too do .
Like you stated the rules there vary somewhat .
As stated both setups cost about the same .
Your in a competitive area , should be plenty of either avalible .
You may need to manage your expectations as far as winning first year out .

When they say call about kid class that is what you need too do .
Like you stated the rules there vary somewhat .
As stated both setups cost about the same .
Your in a competitive area , should be plenty of either avalible .
You may need to manage your expectations as far as winning first year out .
Will definitely be asking around. Like I said we are planning to go to LRP this weekend, so I will ask about rules for each class. I am hoping with the season ending maybe there will be people upgrading, or moving up in classes and have something for sale. I totally understand about managing my expectations of winning at first. Like I said we are brand new to this, and I do not expect to start winning immediately.

If your local track has beginner red plate clone the decision would take me like 2 seconds to make, I would't even consider a kids kart, and I sure don't see it any cheaper or easier to work on, the cheaper would only come in with less tire options, plus with a reg chassis you can keep moving him up with it.

If your local track has beginner red plate clone the decision would take me like 2 seconds to make, I would't even consider a kids kart, and I sure don't see it any cheaper or easier to work on, the cheaper would only come in with less tire options, plus with a reg chassis you can keep moving him up with it.
That was what I was thinking exactly. Thanks!

The last few times we have been to Liberty they have had a good turn out in the kid kart class, about 5-6 of them, they do run champ and flat kid karts together. As for the red plate class they have a good kart count also, The redplate class is definitely competitive there, if your little man has never been in a kart, Sunday's would be a great idea for him to turn laps, i believe most Sundays after race day they have practice,

The last few times we have been to Liberty they have had a good turn out in the kid kart class, about 5-6 of them, they do run champ and flat kid karts together. As for the red plate class they have a good kart count also, The redplate class is definitely competitive there, if your little man has never been in a kart, Sunday's would be a great idea for him to turn laps, i believe most Sundays after race day they have practice,
Thanks payne... That is exactly the kind of information, and friendly advice I am looking for.

Just curious, why is that?
Some people think that the smaller kids are not ready to take on the responsibility or lack enough maturity to handle the speed involved . That is why I have a Dirt Squirt class , with a 79cc engine for ages 4 to 7 . I don't feel the younger ones should be on any bigger engine than that . We try to work with our kids , and teach them , and I am amazed at how they take to it . Most of my little racers are better behaved than some of the older racers .

I would definitely start out with kid kart or baby champ. My daughter has ran at WOODLEAF and Liberty. Red plate is very competitive and fast for a beginner. The fast karts will run all over top of the slower karts and I’ve seen it intimidate drivers and set them behind if not make them not want to race. Price is not even close on the 2 classes. You can contact me if you have any questions.

I would definitely start out with kid kart or baby champ. My daughter has ran at WOODLEAF and Liberty. Red plate is very competitive and fast for a beginner. The fast karts will run all over top of the slower karts and I’ve seen it intimidate drivers and set them behind if not make them not want to race. Price is not even close on the 2 classes. You can contact me if you have any questions.
Same thing happens with kids karts

You can always elect to start your newer drivers in the back until they are comfortable with holding a line. Its good for everyone involved

Back