Low bite conditions with moisture

Cholcomb05

I'm in the southwest, and usually it's hot and dry out here. Our tracks start with moisture, then are dry slick by the end of the night. They get faster as the night goes on as we put rubber down. I'm usually pretty fast. TREADS, NO CHEMICAL PREP. Last week they got a lot of water on the track and the night cooled off a lot, so moisture kept coming up. I couldn't get grip to save my life. Kart was pushing in the center. I increased stagger and it helped a little through center. Lowered pressures all the way around, helped some also, but still not fast. I'm on a '11 Millenium Impulse. Hoosier D30. Left: 58% Front: 46% Cross: 68% Total: 360lbs. Caster L: 8° R: 12° Camber: L +.5° R -2.25°. Track is a low banked 1/5th. Usually about 800+ rpm drop when it's dry slick. Should I be looking at going to just dropping to a lower compound when the track loses grip due to moisture?

softer compound should do it, even though you lowered air all the way around if your still running a 1 lb split close up the split to a 1/2 lb or even straight up, if you change set up you would lower left to 57 % and cross to 60 % a small Cross change won't cut it. Also when track is not making normal momentum you will lack RPM with same gearing add a tooth or 2 to the rear.

I was running a 1/2lb split. Started at 7/7.5 then went down to 6/6.5. I also forgot to mention that I took about 7lbs off the left side to try to get my right side tires into the track more. I'll look into getting some D20. Luckily we don't have night's with those conditions often.

I would just drop straight to the 10's if you aren't going to prep. You could probably get away with just the right sides if you want to save a few bucks.

I would just drop straight to the 10's if you aren't going to prep. You could probably get away with just the right sides if you want to save a few bucks.
The track wasn't soft. It packed in good, but just didn't seem to have any bite. I'm going to have to invest in a few more tires and rims. We're not allowed to run prep. There's night's where the D30 is even to soft.

Back