Lowering Cross is the only way to find speed...

He was never asking for advice on what to do. He was only asking why lowering the cross did what it did. It did what it did because it cganged timing events as it pertains to weight transfer. He went from a heavily preloaded RF to a lesser preloaded RF. Because if this it delayed the weight transfer to the right. He went from either too much weight transfer to quick, thus causing weight to hit the RR too soon or too much weight to the RF, thus exceeding its grip potential. The kart was tight coming off the corners. His young driver couldn't explain that to him. All she knew was it was hard to steer and it was comfortable to her. By taking the cross out of the kart it simply delayed the the timing of the transfer to later in the corner, thus delaying the timing to the RR, thus making it easier for her to drive the kart more comfortably. Was it the best change? No. He knows that. That's why he took it to Mike.

For some folks, the reassurance of an accomplished racer setting their stuff up is huge. I’ve set karts up for people and tell them the same numbers to run but they always like to come back and have me look it over. In reality there is no difference unless something has deviated over time to become a hidden issue. There is the mental advantage that you have when you had person x set up your stuff. The mind game of it does come into play even for some of the best.

If you want good/better information…. You need to give as mich information as possible. To start you need to tell people where and what you’re racing on. If I wasn’t from the area I’d have zero clue where you are racing after reading 4 whole pages.

You need to tell the guys… Slippery Rock… in western PA. You race during the buttcrack of day on a semi flat track comprised of loose sandy saw dusty field dirt. Zero bite dry and dusty unless overcast, a Burris or Vega would be the tire of choice, a few sets needed to get you from start to finish of varying duro.

Naugle… western PA, high bank River clay. Soft track with good bite. Night time High speed bullring racing. Hoosier/Burris/Vega can get the job done. What’s fast at Naugle will be Junk at Slippery Rock.

In those 4 pages I didn’t see Tom Dawson’s name mentioned once. If you’re racing either of these tracks chances are you know or have at least heard his name. Why? Because these are his home tracks… he has tons of wins on these tracks and is the go to tire guy for racers in these areas. Get with Tom at Transfer Tornado he can get you rolling.
My tires are done by tommy. Didn't care to throw his name around all over the post as we were facing some challenges and didn't want it to reflect on his work is all. It's a chassis setup/driver issue and after meeting with a charger dealer to change some things, we're hoping to have things straightened up. I'm not one for throwing names onto the web without their permission.

For some folks, the reassurance of an accomplished racer setting their stuff up is huge. I’ve set karts up for people and tell them the same numbers to run but they always like to come back and have me look it over. In reality there is no difference unless something has deviated over time to become a hidden issue. There is the mental advantage that you have when you had person x set up your stuff. The mind game of it does come into play even for some of the best.
That was the plan J-rod. And yes, he made some changes that he absolutely felt needed done... simple things that should make the kart operate properly (hub spacing/bumper adjustment/etc).

He was never asking for advice on what to do. He was only asking why lowering the cross did what it did. It did what it did because it cganged timing events as it pertains to weight transfer. He went from a heavily preloaded RF to a lesser preloaded RF. Because if this it delayed the weight transfer to the right. He went from either too much weight transfer to quick, thus causing weight to hit the RR too soon or too much weight to the RF, thus exceeding its grip potential. The kart was tight coming off the corners. His young driver couldn't explain that to him. All she knew was it was hard to steer and it was comfortable to her. By taking the cross out of the kart it simply delayed the the timing of the transfer to later in the corner, thus delaying the timing to the RR, thus making it easier for her to drive the kart more comfortably. Was it the best change? No. He knows that. That's why he took it to Mike.
Thank you. Couldn't have said it better. Hope the changes helped. One major thing is the loop bumper and how rigid charger makes it (on top of that, our are stainless). I'm putting a hacksaw to the "V" structure to free it up... soon as he saw it he said this is a MAJOR reason why you have to lower cross to free it up.

Attachments

• loop bumper.jpg
    loop bumper.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 39
Thank you. Couldn't have said it better. Hope the changes helped. One major thing is the loop bumper and how rigid charger makes it (on top of that, our are stainless). I'm putting a hacksaw to the "V" structure to free it up... soon as he saw it he said this is a MAJOR reason why you have to lower cross to free it up.
Yup. Sending more weight transfer across the back of the kart, to the RR before it can get the proper amount to the RF.

Yup. Sending more weight transfer across the back of the kart, to the RR before it can get the proper amount to the RF.
Removed bumpers, cut 1/2" out of each side of the V on each and used heat shrink tubing to keep free of sharp edges... the one was under major stress from welding heat. Going to re-scale as I'm pretty sure that bind didn't help. Turned out pretty well and left some metal there in the event someone railroads her when she slows down for a caution and another kid does not. It happens a lot in the Jr. classes.

One of the last races... came a long way. One of her better races for sure. Track was bumpy but clearly has speed off and less in.
I'm late to the party but this is a great thread! I love the video. She's doing GREAT man! I wouldn't adjust anything on the kart and would try to find opportunities to teach her how to drive the corners. Easier said than done, I know, I have two young racers. I'm not critiquing a JR driver but the more she can learn to arc it in the corner - enter as high as possible keeping the rights sides out of the dust - turn the wheel once aiming for the apex, bounce off the apex and drive it up out (don't hold it down out of the corner), then the kart will carry more momentum. Roll speed and momentum are crucial for the JR karts. I tell my kids even when approaching to pass, do not get in the corner low just because you have a run on someone. Run your line, arc it in, lift a little early if necessary to keep from nailing the slower kart in the rear and try to make the pass out of the corner and line yourself up to get arc it in the next corner. My kids are more qualified to drive the machine than I am, I just get to watch it and tell them what they can't see.

Back