Lowering Cross is the only way to find speed...

A question I like to ask young drivers (and new adults) is "If you hold it wide open going into the turn, what will happen?"
Maybe the driver hasn't developed an understanding of push & loose yet enough to communicate that properly -- if they say it won't turn, or it'll spin out...that gives you the information you need.
With restrictor plates, it's all about momentum....Staying on the hammer is essential (no matter the track size.)
If the car is not handling on entry, it's likely no good through the rest of the turn.
If the car is nosing over because it's gear bound, that could easily cause the lack of MPH at entry that you are seeing.

Just a thought.

Not sure about Vega tires, but if she was on Maxxis and fast everywhere but entry it's not rolled deep enough. Same if you bolted a tire on that's working well for blue plate (much larger driver weight) it won't make enough bite to get in the corner.

Based on all the info you're given and it being the quickest way to figure out what's going on, I'd be picking out the most experienced kid that I knew would fit in your kart and approaching there parent to shake your kart down for you.
This!!! Sometimes a second opinion can help diagnose a issue your driver is overlooking. My son has done this for several people and we’ve also had someone do it for us. Its amazing what you can identify with just a second opinion.

Based on all the info you're given and it being the quickest way to figure out what's going on, I'd be picking out the most experienced kid that I knew would fit in your kart and approaching there parent to shake your kart down for you.
I fully agree... problem is rookie seat... can't get a small enough kid that gives feedback.

We have a date with mike this upcoming Saturday. Going to let him work his magic and see how it goes.
Our engine builder and I talked over the weekend and he and I have come to somewhat of a conclusion, however we both agree that the 1st step is to visit mike. My builder is local, the track tech inspector, and observes my daughter's performance at the track on race days.
Based on our conversation/observations, we have 2 problems:
A: the seat needs lifted in order to better transfer weight into the corner.
B: she's letting off a kart-kart 1/2 length to early and thus the weight is not transferring at the right time.
Bottom Line: She's missing her mark (we believe she's a bit scared that it won't hold) and she'll spin out. Rarely does she spin-out though she's been told "I don't care - so long as you're pushing the envelope of where it can/can't hold". That said, we'll visit mike, see where he puts the karts and run them 3-4 races without touching a thing.
I would love for another driver (that could fit in her seat) be able to provide feedback for us... problem is she's so small and the only one ever to have squeezed in was so uncomfortable that he couldn't wait to get out after a few laps.
I will mention that we race in western PA and OH. Generally the tracks don't have much bite. Some have mentioned maxxis and 1/5 mile tracks... just not the case. I have never seen maxxis perform well up here and you just don't see them for that reason. Vega (when open is the option) is pretty much the standard. Unless it is a Burris only track, you'll mostly always see yellow on the sidewalls.

I fully agree... problem is rookie seat... can't get a small enough kid that gives feedback.
if you run a mychron 4 the data stcik lets you down load all the collected data of lap times and rpm . that might give some indication if the drivers letting up on the throttle .
Seems like your pretty close and fast . I tend to think the camber changes , more on both sides . and or reposition the seat would be my moves .

if you run a mychron 4 the data stcik lets you down load all the collected data of lap times and rpm . that might give some indication if the drivers letting up on the throttle .
Seems like your pretty close and fast . I tend to think the camber changes , more on both sides . and or reposition the seat would be my moves .
Mychron 5... 1 in both karts. We have yet to run the one as santa brought it for christmas.
she's definitely letting up going in... she has to. I/we believe it's when that is a big part of the problem.

We have a date with mike this upcoming Saturday. Going to let him work his magic and see how it goes.
Our engine builder and I talked over the weekend and he and I have come to somewhat of a conclusion, however we both agree that the 1st step is to visit mike. My builder is local, the track tech inspector, and observes my daughter's performance at the track on race days.
Based on our conversation/observations, we have 2 problems:
A: the seat needs lifted in order to better transfer weight into the corner.
B: she's letting off a kart-kart 1/2 length to early and thus the weight is not transferring at the right time.
Bottom Line: She's missing her mark (we believe she's a bit scared that it won't hold) and she'll spin out. Rarely does she spin-out though she's been told "I don't care - so long as you're pushing the envelope of where it can/can't hold". That said, we'll visit mike, see where he puts the karts and run them 3-4 races without touching a thing.
I would love for another driver (that could fit in her seat) be able to provide feedback for us... problem is she's so small and the only one ever to have squeezed in was so uncomfortable that he couldn't wait to get out after a few laps.
I will mention that we race in western PA and OH. Generally the tracks don't have much bite. Some have mentioned maxxis and 1/5 mile tracks... just not the case. I have never seen maxxis perform well up here and you just don't see them for that reason. Vega (when open is the option) is pretty much the standard. Unless it is a Burris only track, you'll mostly always see yellow on the sidewalls.
Like I said, seat to low, VGC to low and its not transferring weight.
Seen it way to many times

Bottom line if you know for sure she's letting off the throttle on entry NOTHING Mike or anyone else does can change that part other than her, now the changes can make her better other parts of the track which would still result in better lap times.

Bottom line if you know for sure she's letting off the throttle on entry NOTHING Mike or anyone else does can change that part other than her, now the chages can make her better other parts of the track which would still increase lap times.
That's what we think is what it could be. Still not positive. We're going to pay special attention to her marks and focus on them. She can't flat-foot it around the track. She has to come off the throttle, however we're thinking that where she does may be playing a part in this puzzle. Will report back after a couple races for sure.

Since I've seen this hundreds of times after taking in all the information I'm convinced your kart is faster than your little driver is ready to go, she's simply not ready to maximize momentum as much as possible, nor understands the importance of that, she's still at the I'm having fun only stage. which is just fine nothing wrong with that, it's OK to try to improve just be cautious of pushing the issue to quickly to where she feels to much pressure and it's not as enjoyable for her, keep emphasizing momentum and pointing out what she can do better until she gets it, let her dictate the pace at which she progress or there most likely won't be any progress, be aware your walking a fine line as far as long term results with her racing future.

Good luck. !!

If you get practice time stand in the infield as near to the track as you can safely get and send her out. Stand where A. she can see you and B. where you can hear her letting off. With instructions to not let off until she reaches you, take a step to the left each lap. Make her see how deep she can enter without spinning out.

Back