LR Burris sizing

mike97760

Site Supporter
Do any of you have a foolproof method of getting a left rear Burris 33 to mount and come down to 32-32 1/2 circumference? I do have a tire band and mostly 8 1/2 wheels. Will they mount on a 9? I fight these things all the time. Thanks!

Do any of you have a foolproof method of getting a left rear Burris 33 to mount and come down to 32-32 1/2 circumference? I do have a tire band and mostly 8 1/2 wheels. Will they mount on a 9? I fight these things all the time. Thanks!

going that small you might be better off growing the rights 32-1/2 shouldn't be too bad but 32 would defiantly take work.

Agreed.
8 3/4" wheel will help some, but it will still take some real effort (and heat) on your part to get them that small -- it can be done.

Mounting the 6.00 on a 9" wheel is a real bear to get beaded AND it changes the footprint enough that I do not recommend it. I've done it in the past to make right sides for a slightly different application and the tire required a lot of work (and cutting) to get it where I was happy with the results. I would not recommend doing it for left rears.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks guys. I admit that 32 inches is pretty greedy and I'd be thrilled to just get them down to 32 1/2, not the 33 inches I usually wind up with. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how far to cinch down the tire band?

Thanks guys. I admit that 32 inches is pretty greedy and I'd be thrilled to just get them down to 32 1/2, not the 33 inches I usually wind up with. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how far to cinch down the tire band?

crank your band down to 10-3/8 when measured across the band and put a mark with a sharpie or a paint pen where the 2 halves overlap and that will be your mark for 32-3/4" .... it wont guarantee a 32-3/4" tire but it will be more consistent this way. The key is to not overstretch the tire the first time you mount it up ....hope this helps

Jeff

Mike, crank down the tire band as tight as you can get it when mounting new LR 33's, they have been coming out at 32 7/8 or 33" for me also. I have mine on 8 3/4 wheels to get them to 32 1/2

I would roll the tire in a hotbox at 200 degrees for about 30 min and then mount the tire hot with the band as tight as it will go.

Watch cranking down a band as tight as it will go , I've seen some of them start getting out of shape the tighter you crank them, you don't want to be racing on eggs

Watch cranking down a band as tight as it will go , I've seen some of them start getting out of shape the tighter you crank them, you don't want to be racing on eggs

^That, right there!

I heat them up before mounting like Chris suggested, but with Burris generally I will let them cool off again (with the floppy sidewalls, they are easy to mount anyhow.) This shrinks them a good bit PRIOR to mounting. Then I will mount them in a tire "ring" not a "band." This definitely keeps the tire to size better (doesn't stretch during inflation) and keeps the tire round.
This guy right here (LynnRacing) can set you up with tire "rings" or you can order a set of Larry Jones rings (of which I don't think he has any small LF rings.)

You can do it with a tire band -- not discouraging you at all -- just sharing what has worked best for me.

Another thing you can try is to take some heavy flexible plastic (like dirt late models use) and line the inside of your tire band with that. This will reduce the band diameter without having to crank it all the way down.....Then, it won't be as out of round when you do crank it down to the size you need. I've done this on 1/4 midget tires and it has worked well.

The tire bands we have all have plastic liners, which I think they all should have. Heat helps alot when mounting tires

Put your oven on 400 degrees, take the valve core out of the tire, put it in the oven for 8 minutes, and then take it out and set it outside in the cold to cool. I can easily get LRs down to 32". May take a couple cycles but you will get there.

Thanks guys. I did stick a liner in the band, cranked the band down pretty danged far just to see how it worked, and was down to 32 3/4 without using any heat. I think you have gotten me headed in the right direction.
When you stick em in the oven is it with the tire on the wheel? Beaded or not? And do you bead them after they've cooled?

You put the whole tire and wheel in the oven, with the wheel face down on the rack, and let it sit a few minutes with the oven up to temp. You can find old ovens on Craigslist and get one for the shop, just for tire work Mike

Back