LR compared to LF

quick question on chassis set-up. we are running a dirt oval set up. should my lr and lf be the same to the edge of the rim. for example if i was to have 0 toe and lay a straight edge across the face of the wheels i should be straight. using this as a base before setting on the scales. it appears my lf is atleast 3/4" or so closer to kart. this is a used kart we bought so im just doing some checking. thanks in advance

Many people support the idea that they should be aligned. I my experience I believe that doing so is irrelevant. I don't believe that lining up the rights is necessary either.

Last edited:
Personally I don't pay a lot of attention to what your trying to compare. Set the inside of the left rear wheel 3/4-1" off the frame. Set the left front so there is 1/4" between the inside of the wheel and spindle arm. See where that puts you and go racing. Adjustments can be made accordingly.

quick question on chassis set-up. we are running a dirt oval set up. should my lr and lf be the same to the edge of the rim. for example if i was to have 0 toe and lay a straight edge across the face of the wheels i should be straight. using this as a base before setting on the scales. it appears my lf is atleast 3/4" or so closer to kart. this is a used kart we bought so im just doing some checking. thanks in advance
What you are seeing is why these are called offset karts, they are designed to be offset.
Lining either side up is wrong.
Rr as close as you can get it, fronts in as far as possible( I have filed a notch in the spindle) Lr as noted above ¾-1 " off the chassis

Karts are built with rear tracking in them, and we align toe based off the straight line the axle creates. Or most modern systems do. So it really should not be straight from wheel to wheel as XXX said above.

quick answer, no. But adjusting your rear track width will depend on the track and get tighten and loosen the kart. If I remember correctly, a wider rear track tightens the kart. Look at the No Goats setup matrix and they talk about it.

Fronts all the way in as close to the steering arms as possible.
RR all the way in as close to the frame as possible (without rubbing under cornering.)
I like to set my rear tracking with the LR hub.
If I am assembling a brand new kart, I will mount the nerf bars (with 42" body) so that the LR wheel is flush to 1/2 inside of the left side nerf bar.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

All the new hot karts are pushing the fronts out and narrowing the rear. 2022 Slack will have a spacer option to push the right front out to aid turn in on high bite tracks. Charger already has that built in Prodigy has the narrowest rear end of any kart I have measured. The Umax prototype i saw was set up this way also.

Vector Chassis.jpg

On the right is our Vector DO Chassis. Original design is from 1993, released in 1994, and stayed relatively the same since then. RF is pushed out and narrowest rear track of any kart I have ever seen. (rear bumper is 16" O/C) We have also used a center line brake all these years. I suspect there's very little that hasn't already been tried in karting, just cyclical application of it. FWIW, this kart still works very well on extremely low bite tracks, very low HP or very high HP. It's no longer competitive on higher bite tracks with stockers on worked tires. That's why we came out with the AO line of karts (shown on the left.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back