LR wheel width

The guys who are winning $10,000 in this sport are not using LR wheel for stagger changes, there is so much more happening. Stagger changes are accomplished by growing or shrinking a tire, LR wheel width changes how a kart rotates, unloads and loads the LR.

That's what I was referring to. I bought a set of wheels and tires, and this set has a wider LR wheel. I am wondering how this will affect the kart.

That's what I was referring to. I bought a set of wheels and tires, and this set has a wider LR wheel. I am wondering how this will affect the kart.

You can use it most likely you had 8.25 " and now got 8.5 " the off set in the rear is different, measure from bearing hanger to the wheel with your normal left rear on then put your new wheel on and just move the hub out to the same measurement, which you will move the hub 1/2" , and yes be aware of your stagger difference.

On our 09 Icon moving the left rear out makes the rear loose on some tracks with 8.5 wheel. Slide it in with 8.25 wheel and it is perfect throughout the turn.

Will moving the wheel out loosen the kart?

In general yes, however by positioning the inside of the wheel the same you can kinda look at it like your not moving it, the added stagger would most likely make more difference than just the wheel being moved.

Now I'm like Paul if that makes any sense.

What the LR does depends on several things. On many of our newer karts moving it in can often help the kart turn better.

In general, with high left and high cross I like the 8.5" wheels.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

More often than not people move the LR to adjust for what they feel will help something on corner exit. In reality, moving the LR changes the timing of when it unloads on corner entry before it can have an affect on the timing of it reloading on corner exit. Entry comes before exit..... :)

Back