LR wheel width

LeftTurn

I currently run 8.25” wheels on the left rear. With how short the Maxxis 9.00’s are rolling out, I have heard that a lot of people are going to using 8.5” and 8.75” wheels on the LR so that they can get more stagger.

My question is the different wheel widths and what that does to handling of the chassis. I can see where the sidewall of a tire mounted on an 8.75” might not be as sharp or tall, but I don’t understand what that will do. Also, does it impact the tire patch that’s on the ground?

Looking for some opinions and theories.

How 'bout leaving your LR wheel/tire size as it is and stretching your RR to 34".
You should have your Rightside tires standardized anyway, because it eliminates a lot of variables.

I agree with standaredized rt side tires but i have been wondering what effect wider vs narrow left rear has on the kart?

I agree with standaredized rt side tires but i have been wondering what effect wider vs narrow left rear has on the kart?

I'm guessing you run a 6" LR.
Wider/narrower wheels will change the height of the side wall and thus the stiffness/effective springrate of the tire which will in turn affect rate of weight transfer to the right side in the turn. :)

Rim width has everything to do with the spring rate of the tire. A tire on a narrower rim will soften the spring rate of the tire thus keeping that tire loaded longer. It also increases the sidewall height and allows the tire to flex more and generates more heat which generates more grip. All of these things will change how and where the kart transfers weight as Arc Angel and Bumpy said.

On asphalt we would run a 7.10 tire on a 10.5" rim, where on dirt we would run the same rim but a 12.00 tire.

Mike McCarty
Chassis Manual (Only $17.95)
www.kartcalc.com

Rim width has everything to do with the spring rate of the tire. A tire on a narrower rim will soften the spring rate of the tire thus keeping that tire loaded longer. It also increases the sidewall height and allows the tire to flex more and generates more heat which generates more grip. All of these things will change how and where the kart transfers weight as Arc Angel and Bumpy said.

I thought the wider the wheel the softer the spring rate?:confused:

Back