ltd mod animal wont fire

spincycle

went through entire carb and cleaned it out, when trying to start it, it has alcohol coming to carb, put hand over filter adapter, plenty of fuel, excess coming out pipe, spark plug has spark with 3910x plug, motor has compression and fresh oil in it, only thing different from when I last ran it is I put an ARC 6616 adjustable timing flywheel on it, used a stock key, and using the marks on the flywheel should have about 29-30 degrees total advance, coil is spaced to be over center of magnets, set coil gap at .004, cant even get a pop, nothing.....going nuts here, anyone think of anything I'm missing?

It might just be flooded. Is it a new plug? sometimes they get fouled and won't spark under pressure. Are the magnets working might have got de-magged somehow in shipping.

It might just be flooded. Is it a new plug? sometimes they get fouled and won't spark under pressure. Are the magnets working might have got de-magged somehow in shipping.
I pulled the plug sat it on top of the motor with it in the plug wire, spun the motor with an electric starter, plenty of spark....i took the coil loose and turned the flywheel around by hand, the coil stuck to the flywheel where the magnets are....?

I dont know...it just seems that somehow for reasons yet unknown, the coil and flywheel dont seem to be on the same page....its a brand new adjustable timing arc billet flywheel....and stock pvl briggs animal coil....do the arc billet flywheels require some different part # coil maybe?

I’ve had this happen and I sheared the keyway on the crank. Brand new motor never got a pop or nothing just sheared it right off the bat. May wanna pull the nut and see if the keyways are still lined up.

Check your ignition timing. Spark AND raw fuel coming out of the exhaust tells me that it's firing at the wrong point of the stroke.
Have you checked your valve lash and compression?

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Check your ignition timing. Spark AND raw fuel coming out of the exhaust tells me that it's firing at the wrong point of the stroke.
Have you checked your valve lash and compression?

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
motor has been sitting since early spring, parked it in victory lane last time i ran it, only thing ive done different is I pulled the stock pvl flywheel off and replaced it with an adjustable timing ARC billet flywheel for a little upgrade...I'm gonna put the stock flywheel back on and see if it will fire with that, if it does, well, then I spent $200 for nothing more than small boat anchor, if it still wont, then I'm gonna have take a looksee inside the motor itself...damn, this crap gets frustrating some times...makes me want to stick with running my 2cycles....

I’ve had this happen and I sheared the keyway on the crank. Brand new motor never got a pop or nothing just sheared it right off the bat. May wanna pull the nut and see if the keyways are still lined up.
pulled the starter nut off and the key is in the key way where it should be....thanks for the thought....

I'm wondering why you say the coil and flywheel don't seem to be on the same page.
The 6616 wheel is for an Animal with the stock crank.
Is that what you have or is it a stroker crank?
The stroker crank takes a 6606 SAP flywheel and a PVL coil.
If it has good spark like you said then put a degree wheel and pointer on it. Use a piston stop to get exactly TDC and check the timing.
If you have good spark and it's timed correctly then start looking elsewhere for another issue.
What kind of carb is on it?

^ What Jimbo said...except that a legal limited mod. animal is not allowed a stroker crank.
AND, make sure that the new flywheel has the magnet system that matches the PVL coil. The older style ignition is not compatible.

I’d certainly not be running a 3910X in a Modified Animal. But to each his own. I’d suggest 3933X or 3924.

I'm wondering why you say the coil and flywheel don't seem to be on the same page.
The 6616 wheel is for an Animal with the stock crank.
Is that what you have or is it a stroker crank?
The stroker crank takes a 6606 SAP flywheel and a PVL coil.
If it has good spark like you said then put a degree wheel and pointer on it. Use a piston stop to get exactly TDC and check the timing.
If you have good spark and it's timed correctly then start looking elsewhere for another issue.
What kind of carb is on it?
stock crankshaft, the coil is a PVL part #791-994, the flywheel I got that I'm trying to figure out is an ARC 6616, which Arc describes as for "Briggs Animal PVL"...they also have an ARC 6606, which is described as being for Briggs Animal Gen 1.....maybe the 6616 isn't the right one and I need the 6606? how does one determine what gen animal they have? as a sidenote, one of the reasons why the animal never took off, B&S stepped on their dicks by offering so many different generation animals, non-engine gurus like me don't really know what weve got or what we need....

Im going to say the gen 1 engine has the 2 leg briggs coil .
The gen types are simply small upgrades or strengthening details .
Nothing really ground breaking except the coil issue .

Back