M1 vs M5 Fuel

Switched from M1 vs M5 Fuel on mild SBO Animal. As i understand, the M5 burns a little slower or faster?

Would one increase oe decrease ignition timing to compensate for optimal peformance?

Would one run a hotter or colder spark plug for optimal peformance?

Thanks in advance.

Ponytl
First of all he asked three things.
Fact is m5 burns faster and it's ( not legal in sanctioned kart racing.)
Whoops, The less I say the more I'm right.

Last edited:
His statement about legality is lagit due to the fact that this is the animal forum. He neglected to inform us it was a rwb open fuel class.

Ldubois823
Here's what i would do.
The first thing i would do is get the engine on the dyno and get the jetting right. If you don't have a dyno find someone that has a good one that you can trust. There are a lot of smart people on this forum that can help. Of course, there are also some at the other end of the spectrum. :)
Then i would experiment with the timing and very carefully look at the spark plug to determine if the engine would benefit from any changes.

Jim, nobody around me wants to dyno and/or dyno tune my motor cause they didn't build it as I have called several but no luck which I'm fine with that.
HL304wx EC Tillitson fresh from Mark at EC for induction.

Ldubois823
Here's what i would do.
The first thing i would do is get the engine on the dyno and get the jetting right. If you don't have a dyno find someone that has a good one that you can trust. There are a lot of smart people on this forum that can help. Of course, there are also some at the other end of the spectrum. :)
Then i would experiment with the timing and very carefully look at the spark plug to determine if the engine would benefit from any changes.

That's a strange way to run an engine shop.
Maybe they have too many customers.
If you want to send it to me i'll be happy to help.
I can test it with M1 and M5 if you like or just the M5.

^ Not strange, Jimbo.
It's the norm, I'd say.
I consider Lance a friend and he's close by, but we decided many years ago to not dyno engines built elsewhere simply from a liability standpoint.
I actually purchased a complete second dyno (duplicate of the one I use here in the shop) for the sole purpose of renting it out to customers and other smaller builders to come test their own stuff on. That posed an even bigger problem in that these same guys didn't know how to operate a dyno without my holding their hand along the way - lest they tear up the dyno = much more expense than any engine they'd ever test on it. :) Now it sits here just in case.

Lance, send that rascal on up to Jimbo - he'll take care of you.

Just trying to help this gentleman out. Hopefully make a new friend in the process.
I'm sorry but your thought process would not work for me. I have people send me motors from all over the country to dyno. Lots of them have been built by someone else. They can be a LO 206 that has been worked on by someone else or maybe just bought on line or it may be a mod motor that needs freshening or a problem diagnosed and repaired.
Good call on not renting out your dyno. I'd be more concerned about liability renting out my dyno to someone not to mention how they would transport it and probably destroy it.
I'll be at PRI in Indy tomorrow if you would like me to bring it back with me and save on the shipping.
God luck either way.
Jim

yes your correct who's rules make a huge difference in what is legal and what's not.
assuming the post is in the animal section means the op is racing sanctioned wka or ikf rues is just plain incorrect.
assuming what was typed is what they meant is like assuming what I read is what he typed.
Ill just assume im assuming too much :)
Its all good.

Don’t assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME!

A man and woman were having a quiet, romantic dinner in a fine restaurant. They were gazing lovingly at each other and holding hands.
Their waitress, taking another order at a table a few steps away, suddenly noticed the man slowly sliding down his chair and under the table, but the woman acted unconcerned.
The waitress watched as the man slid all the way down his chair and out of sight under the table.
Still, the woman appeared calm and unruffled, apparently unaware her dining companion had disappeared.
The waitress went over to the table and said to the woman, "Pardon me, ma'am, but I think your husband just slid under the table."
The woman calmly looked up at her and said, "No, he didn't. He just walked in the door." :shifty:

I appreciate it. I'll definitely be intouch soon.

Thanks,
Lance D

Just trying to help this gentleman out. Hopefully make a new friend in the process.
I'm sorry but your thought process would not work for me. I have people send me motors from all over the country to dyno. Lots of them have been built by someone else. They can be a LO 206 that has been worked on by someone else or maybe just bought on line or it may be a mod motor that needs freshening or a problem diagnosed and repaired.
Good call on not renting out your dyno. I'd be more concerned about liability renting out my dyno to someone not to mention how they would transport it and probably destroy it.
I'll be at PRI in Indy tomorrow if you would like me to bring it back with me and save on the shipping.
God luck either way.
Jim

Back