Magneto differences?

I have a few different magnetos and was trying to see which if any are better than another.

Attachments

• 20201002_155614.jpg
    20201002_155614.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 25
Are you just going to run in the backyard, or actual race competition?
High ohm resistance coils ("hot coils") can offer more voltage at the plug, but watch how much it falls off in timing as rpm increases.
I prefer the highest voltage, highest resistance, lowest retard coil I can find. It allows you to run a richer mixture and more complete burn (shown in egt.) You can make a fixture to test them with an electric motor and rheostat/rpm controller and a replay tach if you really want to go there.
For a professional builder, I think it's worth the effort. For the hobbyist, not so much.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

High ohm resistance coils ("hot coils") can offer more voltage at the plug, but watch how much it falls off in timing as rpm increases.
I prefer the highest voltage, highest resistance, lowest retard coil I can find. It allows you to run a richer mixture and more complete burn (shown in egt.) You can make a fixture to test them with an electric motor and rheostat/rpm controller and a replay tach if you really want to go there.
For a professional builder, I think it's worth the effort. For the hobbyist, not so much.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Yes, I have found that there is no consistancy in when and how much coil, flywheel combinations will retard. They all do it though. Like all R&D it is a matter of time, time and time to come up with definitive, productive results.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
A little of both Brian. Right now I have everything to go racing and then some. My boys are alittle to young to race and I dont have anywhere close enough to me that I can afford. So for now I just tinker around with my stuff and try to learn it to the best of its and my potential. Still alot left to learn and thats what I love about it. Ever since I was a young boy I have been more interested in flathead engines than I could even explain. That hasn't faded. Then I got very lucky when I found out by chance that my girlfriends grandpa was a pretty respectful flathead builder around these areas and once he seen my interest took me under his wing. Unfortunately before we could really get down to business our main track shut down and the next year he got cancer and got weaker by the day. I call him my grandpa because he was more of a grandpa than both my real ones were. Anyhow he left his shop and home to me and my wife and now I have all this awesome stuff and just trying to figure out what I have exactly. The reason I asked about that magneto was because of the screw slot area is different than all the others. Was hoping it was for a 3hp flywheel conversion because thats what I wanted to play with for my next project. Soon ill have an inventory of everything I have and ill show you in a pm. Then I think you will understand why I think about this kinda stuff with alot of depth. Sure I can throw together an engine with aftermarket parts and brag about all the Shiney parts but i want to make thing smooth and flow like it does at the track. I think it's fun.

Your doing great .
The 3 hp flywheel diameter is smaller . If that coil fits and you can set the gap it will work.
Typically the coil posts get shortened and an adapter is added to lower the coil .
There were some made too fit , so you might have one .

Yes, I have found that there is no consistancy in when and how much coil, flywheel combinations will retard. They all do it though. Like all R&D it is a matter of time, time and time to come up with definitive, productive results.
Seems after all that time×time×time I still walk away scratching my head. But when you figure it out it makes you feel like Einstein for a second or two. Lol

Back