Magneto Gap

jasonmorris1809

Through a facebook post, I've learned that the magneto gap is one of the last engine parts that I'm not tuning. Is the gap slide dependent? We run a green slide this year in both karts, moving up to a yellow slide in one of them next year. I've seen the varying gaps to set it at, just curious if it's slide dependent. Thanks!

PVL coil has .016 gap spec'd on it. I would not vary from that. I've been told, by people smarter than me, that wider gaps , over .020 can cause coil failure. I do know varying the gap has NO effect on performance. You are wasting your time delving in this direction.

Nice to know ive been doing it wrong all season 5 track records 8 wins and an Ikf gold cup Championship im not going to say anyone is wrong but its part of my set up ps. Almost a half a lap over second place has mr wondering what if lol

I don't know why anyone is seeing problems running the coil with more air-gap than the PVL suggested .016." We've run upwards of .040" on the alcohol animals for years. Keep in mind that the air gap changes your ignition timing ever so slightly. The drag of the magnets can rob some power, albeit not half a lap difference.
Don't be afraid to experiment with differing air gaps from one leg to the other as well. A timing light and a dyno (and LOTS of spare time on your hands) will be your friend. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

one thing that may be lost here is the method of seting the timming please read the 206 rules fyi the method is like the W.F. engine not an issue for more experianced engine builders but the new guy might get them self in trouble .

I've seen the varying gaps to set it at, just curious if it's slide dependent. Thanks!
I remember seeing some dyno curves, on a plate engine, the last couple weeks or so and I was surprised at the low RPM where the engine reached peak torque. This could indicate a need to retard the timing some. Not absolutely positive, but what could it hurt to experiment a little and be absolutely sure.

For cripes sake !!!!! Stay off Facebook for engine building advice.
.070 gap about a 1/2 degree change
sliding the coil is .5 degrees of timing
key about the same.

Check your timing when done or as stated can be bad.

And One more thing .
Set the Pipe down if you believe these changes are going to get you a 1/2 lap on the compaction

Personally my dyno and track testing doesn't show me that air gap or twisting the coil one way against the bolts and the flywheel the other way against the key does anything to result in .5 seconds better lap time. No matter how large the track is.
The single most important thing that can lower lap times on a LO 206, WF or any other engine is the nut behind the wheel.
However, i will re-test these things again just to confirm my previous results.

no one said timing and air gap wold result in a .5 per lap gain and same for a half lap advantage please go back to the top and read or reread all the post

An explanation on timing numbers for the 206 engine The numbers that have been posted above are a product of the Briggs rules and procedures. ie the method of checking the timing of 206 engine is based of the right coil leg and the relato the right magnet on the flywheel the 23 to 27 degree window is a tech check only which can be checked at the same time as a cam profile with a degree wheel/positive stop method. True engine timing should be in the 28 to 29 degree area . Both the 206 and the World Formula engines use this method . Most engine builders understand this method .If your new to the 206 class as many are ihope this helps you understand the rule and method

Rdj send me a pm i will give you our total set up dont meen to offend anyone but i have compeditors who read this site lol

I've been following this as well ...new to kart racing but in motorsports for 28 yrs an two stroke four stroke atv mx.bike engine builder for 22 yrs...so all this stuff is very much new to me so been following as I do understand about giving to much secrets up

Thinking about this subject a few days ago. Hard to believe this is still being kicked around . It's been 2 1/2 years ago
That's the best part of Bobs. By the way nothing has changed except the date on my part. Yes still winning and setting track records.

And still blowing your own horn. But yea, congratulations on that regional championship you won because you were the only one who should up to most of the races.

BTW, how much HP gain does your dyno show you get by raising the coil?

Back