Magneto Gap

Your the expert Oh and yes , I Have never counted my personal racing for anything except recreation. But for what its worth . You dident race the series. And dident attend most if any. But thanks for the critic .I'm sure all are impressed as usual. Lol

I didn't claim to be an expert. Just tired of hearing your self promotion...most of which is highly inflated. Much like your ego.

As for people being impressed...I don't care. Just do my own thing and do it for my own satisfaction. Try to make a positive impact when I can. I know this bothers the crap out of you. But again, I don't care.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea, and you didn't answer the question as to the HP gain you are finding on the dyno.

I'd also be interested in what someone else's dyno testing results on the coil air gap are.

I'd also be interested in what someone else's dyno testing results on the coil air gap are.

A few years ago we did a fairly extensive study on the Animal coil air gap. We looked at rotational drag, timing degree changes and of course the HP. Kind of a waste of time actually! We did not see an advantage so we still use the Briggs spec for air gap of .016" and slightly more in the Modified high RPM engines.

Now for the Honda and Clone engines that's a whole new ball game there..............LOL

Steve
www.Bakerracingengines.com

Wondering if the old occilscope would be valid comparison?
It won't show hp but does give a valid indication of the spark.

I didn't claim to be an expert. Just tired of hearing your self promotion...most of which is highly inflated. Much like your ego.

As for people being impressed...I don't care. Just do my own thing and do it for my own satisfaction. Try to make a positive impact when I can. I know this bothers the crap out of you. But again, I don't care.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea, and you didn't answer the question as to the HP gain you are finding on the dyno.

Lol. Maybe you can tell everyone about your trick head gaskets . Tech guy was not impressed .

Lol. Maybe you can tell everyone about your trick head gaskets . Tech guy was not impressed .

Okay. I purchased and raced a used engine. While I checked several things out, I didn't take off the head and check the gasket. Upon post tech, it was determined that the head gasket was a fire ring gasket. I saw it immediately. I made no excuses as I should have checked it. I did not argue with the tech man. The 2nd place kart (running one of my engines) passed with no issues. The engine came from a reputable and well known engine builder. I'm not going to try and throw them under the bus as I will assume that if it was there mistake, did it unintentionally by putting an Animal gasket instead of the 206. It could have been the previous owner as well. All I know is I am responsible and I accept that, and went on have fun the rest of the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

SO what HP gain did you find on your Dyno?

Ok. First of all Jj i dont nor have I ever been bothered by what you do or what your self opinion is . After 50 + years in this sport I've acomplished almost everything I've set out to do. Almost everything karting, Starting winning races back in the 60s. ,Built chassis and engines ,Race offical,local ,regional, national. Fyi. But that's not the real issue. . I don't complain about others posts. Or yours , well except to answer yours. I'm sure others are as tired of your personal comments outside of 206 racing questions on Bobs. If your so intrested in helping this sport stick to the issues . Do your own testing and dyno work . Now if your worried about my " self promotion" my segustion would be for you to work a little harder and quit worrying about how many race wins I produce. Just think this whole issue might take care of itself. I'm sure at the pleasure of many including myself.

Next question:

How much power do you see gained on your dyno when you align the intake, set the valve lash a thou. different, index a spark plug, use less oil on the air filter, or turn the air filter a particular direction?

I don't think that any of us could show a significant improvement in any one of these items individually, yet for the most part we all do them. WHY? Could it possibly be that there is a positive cumulative effect of all these changes? Me thinks, yes. :)

Yes Brian but then you would have to know what changing the air gap affects and if that produces a positive gain or a negative loss.
Using the recommended air gap (painted on the coil) is about as close as you want to get since setting it closer may cause the flywheel to rub the coil posts. That leaves you with making the gap bigger.
We all know that bigger is always better. Right???
I have a box full of emulsion tubes from alcohol carbs that people drilled bigger and or chamfered along with nozzles that were cut on an angle. Pretty soon they will go to the recycling center with the rest of my brass collection.
People paid someone else big money to "blueprint" those carbs.

Building a race Engine is like climbing a ladder. ONE STEP AT A TIME. It's a combination of many things form adjustments to processes and procedures. And like you said an cumulative effort. Any one who thinks everything can be measured individually on a Dyno is delusional. Or has one he'll of a special Dyno.

Next question:

How much power do you see gained on your dyno when you align the intake, set the valve lash a thou. different, index a spark plug, use less oil on the air filter, or turn the air filter a particular direction?

I don't think that any of us could show a significant improvement in any one of these items individually, yet for the most part we all do them. WHY? Could it possibly be that there is a positive cumulative effect of all these changes? Me thinks, yes. :)

Sure, but you could do all of them and see no gain. Does that mean none of them make a difference? I thinks not.

Building a race Engine is like climbing a ladder. ONE STEP AT A TIME. It's a combination of many things from adjustments to processes and procedures. And like you said a cumulative effort. Any one who thinks everything can be measured individually on a Dyno is delusional. Or has one he'll of a special Dyno.

The flip side or opposite could also be true.
You could do a bunch of things that you think are adding more power when in reality they are hurting you.
I see people doing this quite often when they don't have a method for measuring it.
One of the most common is changing carb adjustments by the seat of you pants.
Valve settings. More clearance or less because of this or that.
Another is ignition timing and or coil air gap.

It is the same with cars and bikes the more noise they make the faster they are evidently. You can remove an engineer designed exhaust system and install a $39.95 Thrush muffler and be the fastest in town.

If you all are saying that opening the coil air gap is not helping performance (measurably on our current dynos)?
So then can we say that opening the coil air gap is not hurting performance? (Certainly not measurably on my dyno.)

I'm pretty proud of my old dynosaur because of it's repeatability. Not saying that I'm not missing something, but I have yet to see opening the coil air gap up some hurt the power. (Not on an open animal with rare earth magnet flywheel and not on an LO206.) Certainly not hurting it a tenth and certainly not rubbing on the flywheel like I see so many others' engines do (I suspect that hurts a tenth or more!)
I can show you the gain on a small plate flathead -- I know, I know, different ignition system, lower HP, etc. My thought is that there is power gained on the ohv engines w./ pvl alike, but that within the parameters of my dyno I can't verify and back up that small of an amount. If it's worth 1/100 I'll take it. I don't care how small of a gain.

Ahhh yes rubbing is a definite no no.
That will definitely slow you down.
.020" clearance is one thing for a little bit of insurance.
.050" or more is another.

I like Brian am open minded if it does not hurt. How can you say it does not help
A big part of Building a winning engine is reducing the variables that may hinder preformence. This original post goes back 2 + years. There's a message there for everyone. Brian has hit on it a couple times in his post.

Reactions: GKP
Back