making your own electric starter

yes we have made 3 of them i think ? you will get a better answer if you tell us what engine you plan on starting first . stocker or open modified ? it does make a differance

I used a Toyota Camry starter turns the correct way, a motor cycle battey,used a piece of aluminum and folded around everything for size, buy a clutch arm for correct socket size I think Dixie karting use to have them not sure of model year of starter but we have used it for many years starting open animals and stockers hope this helps you. also some kind of push button to start. Maddawg

I made several, long time back, best ones used sprag clutch needle bearings, also made one using a BBC starter motor, with brushes rotated 90* for correct rotation, heavy , but it would spin anything. Bast thing I ever did was buy a new Coleman.

I made a ambidextrous starter for my dual-clone from a conventional kart starter. It's funny seeing people's expressions when they 1st see it. Very simple and effective! BTW....sprags are over-kill on small motors. jmo

I use my 2009 Shelby GT500 starter it will crank anything after all it was for a 550hp motor , I got it from a friend that wanted a High torque aftermarket starter best 100 bucks spent. I even got the Ford dealership to get me a medal stamp plate to put on starter that read SHELBY GT 500. Best setup starter for all opens.

The first one I ever built was made from a Ford 6v starter. Got brushes with longer leads, rotated the end plate to reverse rotation, used the starter solenoid with the button already on it and used it with a 12v battery. ANYTHING that was run on karts, it'd crank it. Nowadays I have an aluminum box big enough for a Toyota starter, motorcycle battery and a 5/8 jackshaft. I put a #35 sprocket on the starter, same on the jackshaft with a one way bearing in it, and machined a 3/8 drive square on each end. Now I have a starter for right hand OR left hand mounted engines.

I used a Toyota Camry starter turns the correct way, a motor cycle battey,used a piece of aluminum and folded around everything for size, buy a clutch arm for correct socket size I think Dixie karting use to have them not sure of model year of starter but we have used it for many years starting open animals and stockers hope this helps you. also some kind of push button to start. Maddawg

X-2 This is what I used to build our starter with, and it works great.

I'm buying a coleman mini starter, haven't received it yet but can you tell me do I need a special socket?

Shouldn't need a special socket at all , but I always buy a new 1/2 drive 3/4 inch 6 point impact socket...any parts store or hardware store will have one. jmo

Hey , whats going on man ? Is there any way you could enlighten me as to what year camry starter you used ? So far ive tried 3 different ones . 2 were for a 2013 and one for a 96 . Now where in got them and if they were good is kinda questionable but im at a point im just gonna buy a new one from advance auto and be done with it . It will be starting a late 70s Cooks Racing Engines KT100 w/a 4 hole can mounted drivers side right hand which would put it rotating clockwise . I have looked for and searched the archives for the info several times and have found nothing and the rest of the web is either censored (why i would not know) or extremely vague on the topic . I have also searched high and low on the web for an OEM recoil starter which it was equipped with one new in '75 when the kart was bought but broke a few years later and my dad swapped the engine for a flat top briggs 5hp , but the only confirmable info i got on a recoil starter was 1 youtube video and something saying that KT 100s imported to the USA were all done without the recoil starter because they were ordered specifically for karting and it was deleted to save end costs to the purchaser and weight reduction but that the equipped engines were exported to Australia , UK , and England , go figure . Thanks In Advance for any info u have maybe one day i can help everyone else here out coz you , Mike and a couple others have sure made an old guys attempt at restoring a grown up 10 year olds birthday gift a possibility !

Back