making your own electric starter

Hey , whats going on man ? Is there any way you could enlighten me as to what year camry starter you used ? So far ive tried 3 different ones . 2 were for a 2013 and one for a 96 . Now where in got them and if they were good is kinda questionable but im at a point im just gonna buy a new one from advance auto and be done with it . It will be starting a late 70s Cooks Racing Engines KT100 w/a 4 hole can mounted drivers side right hand which would put it rotating clockwise . I have looked for and searched the archives for the info several times and have found nothing and the rest of the web is either censored (why i would not know) or extremely vague on the topic . I have also searched high and low on the web for an OEM recoil starter which it was equipped with one new in '75 when the kart was bought but broke a few years later and my dad swapped the engine for a flat top briggs 5hp , but the only confirmable info i got on a recoil starter was 1 youtube video and something saying that KT 100s imported to the USA were all done without the recoil starter because they were ordered specifically for karting and it was deleted to save end costs to the purchaser and weight reduction but that the equipped engines were exported to Australia , UK , and England , go figure . Thanks In Advance for any info u have maybe one day i can help everyone else here out coz you , Mike and a couple others have sure made an old guys attempt at restoring a grown up 10 year olds birthday gift a possibility
Hey , whats going on man ? Is there any way you could enlighten me as to what year camry starter you used ? So far ive tried 3 different ones . 2 were for a 2013 and one for a 96 . Now where in got them and if they were good is kinda questionable but im at a point im just gonna buy a new one from advance auto and be done with it . It will be starting a late 70s Cooks Racing Engines KT100 w/a 4 hole can mounted drivers side right hand which would put it rotating clockwise . I have looked for and searched the archives for the info several times and have found nothing and the rest of the web is either censored (why i would not know) or extremely vague on the topic . I have also searched high and low on the web for an OEM recoil starter which it was equipped with one new in '75 when the kart was bought but broke a few years later and my dad swapped the engine for a flat top briggs 5hp , but the only confirmable info i got on a recoil starter was 1 youtube video and something saying that KT 100s imported to the USA were all done without the recoil starter because they were ordered specifically for karting and it was deleted to save end costs to the purchaser and weight reduction but that the equipped engines were exported to Australia , UK , and England , go figure . Thanks In Advance for any info u have maybe one day i can help everyone else here out coz you , Mike and a couple others have sure made an old guys attempt at restoring a grown up 10 year olds birthday gift a possibility !
I will see if there’s numbers on it tomorrow and let you know! Been so long ago can’t remember model…dawg

I will see if there’s numbers on it tomorrow and let you know! Been so long ago can’t remember model…dawg
By Joe I think I got it this time . Here are the pics and the details for anyone who needs one and don't have one , and I tell ya starting a KT100 with a cordless drill or a high speed electric drill may be quick and easy until it starts cracking all those pot metal ring gears inside ur drill and if your drill makes u money I will be buying a new one .
Now I guess it's pretty plain to see what has been used but all mower starters are not the same . You will need a Kohler Courage sv590 (19.5) starter and don't get the cheap one get the higher priced one and use the starter solenoid of the same mower . Now u will need to have a charged 12 volt battery close by but that ain't.really an issue . This took all of 2 hours to build and it spins my KT over like the any electric I've ever.seen

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_202122280.jpg
    IMG_20230314_202122280.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 71
Now I guess it's pretty plain to see what has been used but all mower starters are not the same . You will need a Kohler Courage sv590 (19.5) starter and don't get the cheap one get the higher priced one and use the starter solenoid of the same mower . Now u will need to have a charged 12 volt battery close by but that ain't.really an issue . This took all of 2 hours to build and it spins my KT over like the any electric I've ever.seen
Looks good .
Question , how are you connececting it too the engine ?

Looks good .
Question , how are you connececting it too the engine ?
Yeah I could only attach 2 pics so I had to delete the pic of that part . I welded a 8mm socket to the starter shaft and then chopped off a 8mm allen wrench on the end that slips up into the starter nut I kinda filed a little bit on the points so that it fit kinda loosely up in the starter nut and the other is tacked into the 8mm socket from the inside . After playing around a little I added a short piece of a heavy spring that works great to eject it all back out of the starter nut here is the pic of that . I have to physically push and hold it in to stay engaged but as soon as the engine fires I just have to relax the push in and she pops right out . Blew my mind man . 2 hours , some parts that have been getting kicked around in the floor for months saved me a whole 2 maybe $300 and I guess in the excitement of it all , I managed to learn how to take a pic and post it on the web ! LOOK OUT ONLY FANS , here I come ! 🔥😂😂🔥

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_202114127.jpg
    IMG_20230314_202114127.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 43
If my dog could operate my phone I'd make a video and post it being used to start the engine but he can't understand the be still part and of course there is that issue of him not having thumbs too that kinda disables his true potential .......but I'll get one the next time someone stops by and has a few minutes to kill .

Back