Master links

some? I don't know anyone who runs them in a racing application.
On a yard kart or mini-bike - a lot do. Until the abuse overwhelms them.

I contend that using a chain break tool creates the weak link.
I have never had an issue with the master link failing.

I don't use a master link anymore, but when I did, it was with a Tecumseh H60 (6hp) with governor bypassed with no issues. For a Predator I wouldn't worry about it. For an Animal or bigger, I'd use a breaker. As long as the clip is not "sprung", and the ears of the clip are facing "away" from the direction of rotation, you're probably OK. I moved to a chain breaker because I didn't want to risk losing over a $0.25 part.

I don't use a master link anymore, but when I did, it was with a Tecumseh H60 (6hp) with governor bypassed with no issues. For a Predator I wouldn't worry about it. For an Animal or bigger, I'd use a breaker. As long as the clip is not "sprung", and the ears of the clip are facing "away" from the direction of rotation, you're probably OK. I moved to a chain breaker because I didn't want to risk losing over a $0.25 part.
Many moons ago I raced BMX, first time my nads drilled the gooseneck, my grandfather taught me how to pin a chain by hand and have never changed

@XXX#40 -- Mine usually nailed the gooseneck because of the sudden endo, not the chain breaking. And that darn Turkeyneck pad velcro never stayed put on the "pad" they had. The clamp stems were slightly better, but also sharper. I'm proud to say I survived the 80's.
1642104207729.png

I contend that using a chain break tool creates the weak link.
When using a chain breaker, the outside plate that a pin is pressed out of and then re-used to join the chain is the weak link. The swedge on the end of the pin that is pressed out literally is tearing material out of the plate when it passes through. When the chain is assembled you loose some / all of the press fit between the pin and plate.

Is it weaker than using a connecting link? Not sure but probably not. Connecting links use a slip fit plate that likely has more clearance than the amount of material that is removed from pressing out a swedged pin.

I believe most people have failures with master links due to A) poor installation or B) alignment issues during chain operation. The clip on the master link isn't designed to withstand much of a side load. After saying all of that, I don't use master links on our karts. That's not to say they can't be used successfully. Too much unnecessary risk in it for me. I use a chain breaker every time and put a new chain on regularly.

I have found , put a little lube in the roller before installing thr master link or pushing the pin back in .

Back