Max O Torque on Animal

sundog

Can you run a cheap maxotorque on an animal or will it cook? I've got an animal no one seems to want to buy and I might as well get some fun out of it but I don't want to wear on a good clutch.

Thanks,
Sundog

We ran those for quite awhile on predators with way more hp than recommend and they were fine. Removed cleaned and sanded after every race day and work no problems. Not ideal but possible.

Depends on what you are doing. On track short runs, or all day running?

The backyard guys drive me nuts selling/replacing these clutches that last 1 day of hard riding with an adult and a bone stock Predator in the backyard.
I try to steer them to the Noram GE, but generally they stay with the el-cheapo max-torques and continue to replace them several times over before they wise up or sell out.

That clutch won't handle a blueprinted animal for very long -- use it up, enjoy, then find something more durable to replace it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Depends on what you are doing. On track short runs, or all day running?

The backyard guys drive me nuts selling/replacing these clutches that last 1 day of hard riding with an adult and a bone stock Predator in the backyard.
I try to steer them to the Noram GE, but generally they stay with the el-cheapo max-torques and continue to replace them several times over before they wise up or sell out.

That clutch won't handle a blueprinted animal for very long -- use it up, enjoy, then find something more durable to replace it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Hey Brian, what would a good drum clutch be in your opinion for a stock appearing clone? Have been looking at the Stinger and the Hillard Flame and Fury and all those. I want to spend the money to get a good clutch i can rely on, but have heard alot of mixed opinions. Thanks!

I'm not Brian but the Hilliard Flame or fire will work great
I also have Stinger clutches in stock.

I would stay away from the Fire for your application.
The friction coating won't last, especially with the higher HP you've got.
The Hilliard flame or Fury would be just fine if set up correctly. There is a Bully driver option that is very popular and I would suggest that, if you already have drivers to use.
Give us a call at the shop.
We always have these clutches in stock and can set it up for your specific engine application.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Does the flame really have less chatter than the fury?

You can't mess up the direction of the fury, the flame shoes can be reversed.
Maybe that's what you are seeing.
For fool-proof service, the Fury is hard to beat.
The Flame "can" be an advantage to those who know clutch tuning.

lol I don't need an idiot proof clutch I was just wondering if the swept back shoes have less chatter as advertised.

If you put the tail of the shoe in the trailing direction you get way less chatter, if any, especially after they have been broken in / seasoned / used and mate with the drum.

When my kids were racing mini snowcross we used the max-torque clutches a lot. Stock motors, 206s, all the way up to a methanol animal mod. I'd cut diagonal groves across the face of the shoes, use a black spring, and replace them every race day.

They were great. We tried the flame, fire, norman, and disk clutches would not hold up at all. You'd smoke them in a day and they were way more expensive to replace.

max torque clutches from mfgsupply are $20 each. I used to buy them 10 at a time. One race day and chuck it in the trash or use it around the yard.

Not sure how much that helps with kart racing but you for the price they were great for us.

Attachments

• _DSC9518_copy-(ZF-6056-19428-1-003).jpg
    _DSC9518_copy-(ZF-6056-19428-1-003).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 11
Back