max torque black spring on gx200

98xtc

Hi, Wondering if anyone else is running max torque clutches. We have one on our ungoverned stock gx200. At present we are running a cut green spring wondering if anyone is running the black spring and if they are happy with it. Not sure if 2900-3200 engagement works well or not, we are still in the learning stages. We are consistently in the top 3 finishers and have one win but like everyone we are looking for just that little edge.

black spring works well, can cut it for higher engagement. One the stock engines without governor, 3000-3200 works well. The heavier the kart/driver total is, the higher you will need the clutch to engage also, to help get the kart moving on the starts. 3200 is what i set all of our stock engine clutches at

If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, that torque is transferred, through the chain, to the rear axle. Maximum torque at the rear axle, means maximum horsepower at the rear axle. Look at the horsepower formula, torque X RPM / 5252.1 = HP. While the clutch is slipping, the horsepower at the engine is different from the horsepower at the axle. When the clutch is fully engaged then the horsepower at the engine is the same as the horsepower at the axle.

This is no theory, it's a cold hard fact. You want the clutch to hold the engine at peak torque on the starts.

Al he probably doesn't have a clue what to make of what you just said. He just wanted to know about the spring on the clutch he has

Al he probably doesn't have a clue what to make of what you just said. He just wanted to know about the spring on the clutch he has
Trying to judge somebody's ability to understand my advice is not part of what I do. I never talk down to people.

If they don't understand my advice, they can always ask questions.

I understand completely what he is saying. Have raced snowmobiles before so I kind of know about clutching. Just wasn't sure working with these Honda's where we wanted to be. Thanks for the input

Trying to judge somebody's ability to understand my advice is not part of what I do. I never talk down to people.

If they don't understand my advice, they can always ask questions.

What is the peak torque of the Honda in stock form? Do you know the answer? If you did, you would know what i suggested is where he needs to be. I wasnt talking down to anyone, including you. I was giving the guy the info he needed because i build and run these engines regularly

Back