max torque clutch altering

Lkerley

Can you alter the max torque 6 shoe clutch?Cut 3 shoes in half to make it have 9 pressure points instead of 6..Works real well with the black spring with one coil removed.Its around 3200 rpm

Its going to reduce the weight of each shoe by 50% .
Shoe weight along with centrifugal force is what sends them out against the drum .
The half shoes may not contact as well as the full shoes .
My votes no .

The amount of weight exerted against the spring would be exactly the same. Less the amount of weight removed by the saw that cut the shoe in half. Doesn't seem like much but it's got to be a consideration. The contact area against the drum could possibly change. A drop in the stall RPM might be an indicator of that happening. The opposite also being true? You didn't say what changed when you cut the shoes, did the stall RPM go up or down?

I wonder, why has no one come out with a drum clutch that you can add, or subtract, weight from each shoe? Kind of like the old Burco and Hartman clutch did. Same design as now, just add a way to bolt on, or take off, extra weight.

Can you alter the max torque 6 shoe clutch?Cut 3 shoes in half to make it have 9 pressure points instead of 6..Works real well with the black spring with one coil removed.Its around 3200 rpm
If you go to Red Beards's garage there is a episode in the Max Torque factory where the owner describes in detail the correct way to improve the clutch strait from the horses mouth.

I wonder, why has no one come out with a drum clutch that you can add, or subtract, weight from each shoe? Kind of like the old Burco and Hartman clutch did. Same design as now, just add a way to bolt on, or take off, extra weight.
They do..... You can do it on 2 of the inferno lines.

Here is the max torque link.... Jim is one heck of a nice guy. My max torque clutch is blueprinted by him

Last edited:
I suppose it's possible I missed it, but I didn't see where they added any weight to any the shoes. It was a damn good video though, nice to see my friend Jim. Max Torque has been around since I started karting in 1966.

I suppose it's possible I missed it, but I didn't see where they added any weight to any the shoes. It was a damn good video though, nice to see my friend Jim. Max Torque has been around since I started karting in 1966.

The little barbell weights go inside the holes on the clutch shoes
Screenshot_2019-10-01-18-26-59.png
Screenshot_2019-10-01-18-27-55.png

Im sorry for the confusion i stated in my previous post that 2 of the inferno lines you could add/remove weight to fine tune it like you said would be cool like the other clutches you named.... Didnt mean you could with the max torques just posted the video for peopme to see

I'm curious so I wanna ask when yall cut the 3 shoes, did you see any performance gain at all or what?
I don't notice as much slipping before it grabs.Its a very smooth transition.Definitely better!! And you can cut 2 coils out to get 200 more rpm's if needed.

Back