Maxxi take offs?

Codyh27

I run stock box predator and bought a set of take off from a guy there pink and blues trying to get a run or 2 out them but there punching 60 any homemade ways to get them softer

I run stock box predator and bought a set of take off from a guy there pink and blues trying to get a run or 2 out them but there punching 60 any homemade ways to get them softer
If your comparing to what you need for clone, you want them harder for predator.

And also question might be a dumb 1 but why you want them harder for predator than say a clone
You need more roll speed in the predator. The predator needs as little resistance as possible so it doesnt bog down. I dont know what you prep to normally, but 60 seems really high to me. I dont even bolt mine on unless they are under 50.

As for homemade prep, dont do it. There are tons of preps out that will actually work for you.

They came off a yahama class so im thinking there a little worn i just got them to try out whats the best stuff to get them down to maybe punch 50

They came off a yahama class so im thinking there a little worn i just got them to try out whats the best stuff to get them down to maybe punch 50
Thats a very open ended question. Goat P will drop them quickly, but they will be never go back to the way they were. Honestly there are guys on here that can get you setup better than I can.

They may be glazed over and thats why they are at 60, or there may have been some harsh prep on them which deleted the oils from the tire.
First thing id do is resurface them and see where you are at duro wise. Then id start to apply the proper prep needed.
Give me a call if you like and we can get into more detail.

^ Best advice so far.
Remember, Maxxis are totally synthetic (ie plastic.) They harden and glaze over easily.
Resurface them first. You can re-apply internal and wipe them with a softener externally to get the duro down where you want them.
While 60 might be alright for a high bite joint, it could just as easily be too hard for other tracks/classes.

I'm going to dissent with my friends wanting them harder for Predator than clone classes, due only to the fact that you are not going to abuse the tires as much with the slower corner entry speed of the Predator. I get where you want more roll speed being under-powered, but that doesn't necessarily mean harder duro to me. There are better ways to accomplish this (air pressure, different internal, etc.) in my opinion.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Reactions: jdg
They may be glazed over and thats why they are at 60, or there may have been some harsh prep on them which deleted the oils from the tire.
First thing id do is resurface them and see where you are at duro wise. Then id start to apply the proper prep needed.
Give me a call if you like and we can get into more detail.
Thanks for the info we resurfaced them last week and rolled them and they was still at 60 dude i got them from said he ran aggressive in them

We run Predator around here a lot. I always run my old, thin take offs on Predator. I feel the tire needs to be softer than what you run in stock because of the tire you are running. The old thin stuff doesnt have the bite that a newer tire has. You have less rubber also which will decrease the amount of bite. You will run a lot more air than in stock so that decreases grip. Most of my predator tires will be around 20-30 thousandths so they will typically have more inside and more wipes.

We run Predator around here a lot. I always run my old, thin take offs on Predator. I feel the tire needs to be softer than what you run in stock because of the tire you are running. The old thin stuff doesnt have the bite that a newer tire has. You have less rubber also which will decrease the amount of bite. You will run a lot more air than in stock so that decreases grip. Most of my predator tires will be around 20-30 thousandths so they will typically have more inside and more wipes.
I been running 5 on left 6 on right for air pressure is that 2 low of air 4 the predtaor im new to all this so im just soaking up all the info i can because im going most of my stuff off my buddys clone and flathead

Back