MC/Caliper Question

Sure, it's done every day. The pedal will generally be stiffer and potentially less travel, which is what a lot of people want. Most karts have a pretty dead pedal feel if they've had any brake work done to them. Some even before.

Sure, it's done every day. The pedal will generally be stiffer and potentially less travel, which is what a lot of people want. Most karts have a pretty dead pedal feel if they've had any brake work done to them. Some even before.
I figured as much i just wanted to make sure there wasn't something i was overlooking
Thank you for your response

Most karts use a 3/16 th's disc .
Some 1/4 " the big brakes are 1/2 - 5/ 8 " thick . If your doner has a 3/8" disc and your trying to squeeze a 1/8 . Could pop a piston out of the caliper .

If his caliper setup doesn't change as it is current, and they just put a bigger piston Master cylinder, it won't change the caliper at all.

If you are matching a big bore master cylinder to a mini lite caliper it wont work. Your foot pressure wont create enough force. We experienced this when i put mini lights on the rear of my sons kart. The manufacturer said i needed use the matching master cylinder. The master cylinder that was on the kart for the big calipers wouldn't stop his kart when i put the mini lights on. Once i replaced the master cylinder he had brakes again. Give them a call.

MCP Brake Systems
P.O. Box 261
Dayton, OH 45404-0261
937-228-0370

If you are matching a big bore master cylinder to a mini lite caliper it wont work. Your foot pressure wont create enough force. We experienced this when i put mini lights on the rear of my sons kart. The manufacturer said i needed use the matching master cylinder. The master cylinder that was on the kart for the big calipers wouldn't stop his kart when i put the mini lights on. Once i replaced the master cylinder he had brakes again. Give them a call.

MCP Brake Systems
P.O. Box 261
Dayton, OH 45404-0261
937-228-0370
Thank You !

Per 271mac suggestion, I reached out to Brad at MCP today. He informed me that you can use the 7/8" M/C with the mini-lite caliper and it will function. However, you will have a super firm pedal and have to apply about 30% more pressure to achieve the same amount of braking power that you would have with the correct M/C. Highly advised against this with a younger driver, but it is possible and functional.
Thank you to all that shared some expertise

Per 271mac suggestion, I reached out to Brad at MCP today. He informed me that you can use the 7/8" M/C with the mini-lite caliper and it will function. However, you will have a super firm pedal and have to apply about 30% more pressure to achieve the same amount of braking power that you would have with the correct M/C. Highly advised against this with a younger driver, but it is possible and functional.
Thank you to all that shared some expertise
Yeah, it's counter-intuitive to think you get less breaking performance. I guess I should have made that clear in my post above. It does generally give tighter feeling peddle which most want. But, it's misleading that it's less performance when it comes to stopping. I know some people have went to this setup so that the axle wouldn't lock up the tires quite as easily. It's all hard to tell, more personal preference, but most people that have messed with the brake system knows. If you ever break the lines, the peddle feel is never the same again. I have bled systems about every which way and just can't seem to get them back like factory. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Yeah, it's counter-intuitive to think you get less breaking performance. I guess I should have made that clear in my post above. It does generally give tighter feeling peddle which most want. But, it's misleading that it's less performance when it comes to stopping. I know some people have went to this setup so that the axle wouldn't lock up the tires quite as easily. It's all hard to tell, more personal preference, but most people that have messed with the brake system knows. If you ever break the lines, the peddle feel is never the same again. I have bled systems about every which way and just can't seem to get them back like factory. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
I had an issue like this with with some Marzocchi Front forks Designed for a Mod pit bike. They ran a Formula front brake and same story rock split the line in a race. They used mineral oil out of all things to get the best feel. Bleeding was impossible you couldn't keep it fed enough since it was so small. I ended up submerging the entire caliper into the mineral oil with the piston caliper out knowing there would be zero air put the caliper piston back in and then it obviously pushed the fluid straight up the line and they finally felt like they should have. I had a heck of a Time bleeding the old MCP's that I have on my kart, was about to do the same trick but found hooking a quality spray bottle like windex and some small green line you can pull the fluid right through.

Back