mcp brake fluid

hi, I have a 98 emmick cobra. it has mcp mc and caliper. I think these are the older cast brakes. do you guys know what brake fluid they used. I am going to rebuild both so they will be new inside. thanks, chuck

mike97760

Site Supporter
Im pretty sure DOT 5 brake fluid (silicone) wasnt even a dream when that brake system was invented and manufactured. If you are sprint kart racing I could see maybe making the switch but dirt oval racing doesn't have much need for continuous hard braking fluids.

Legend

Site Supporter
Pretty sure you are wrong, I built and sold hundreds of karts during the late 90's with the cast MCP brakes. They took DOT5

Legend

Site Supporter
Just FYI, If you are completely rebuilding the caliper and M/C you will be replacing all the seals. I believe the new seals are compatible with Dot3, 4 and 5 and you can choose what fluid you want to use. The 90's assemblies would have had seals compatible with DOT 5 only, they had stickers on them saying so.

Komet99

DOT 5 can withstand higher temps than DOT 3 or 4. Its also a different make-up. In a dirt oval scene, they will perform equally. You whatever you feel.

One thing to remember, do not mix DOT 5 with DOT 3.

CarlsonMotorsports

Site Supporter
Many, MANY years ago, I remember Paul (Martin) explaining the whole issue of brake fluid in his brakes.
Dot 5 silicone is what was/is intended to be used in the OP's caliper and M/C.
We stock & sell MCP brake fluid - it is (purple) Dot 5 silicone.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ted Hamilton

Design Drafter / Racer
If you ever mix types, you'll get a gelatin type substance in your lines (and caliper, etc.) It's possible to get that out and successfully re-bleed with the correct fluid. But it's a real pain in the butt. #fromafriend LOL

jsf74

Lol if you are on the brakes enough to worry about heat causing dot 3 to fade you might as well just go home😂