Melting Lead, whats your process...

Woodyjp

I know there was a lot of stuff about this on the old forum but cant find much on the new forum. I wanna re-cast all of my lead, they are beat up and need to be made to look nice again. What process did yall use to melt them down and re mold them. Torch, oven etc etc and what temp. Also what did u use to pour the molten lead into. A muffin type pan is what i was thinking but idk if that will work.

Thanks for the help guys!

Woody

I know there was a lot of stuff about this on the old forum but cant find much on the new forum. I wanna re-cast all of my lead, they are beat up and need to be made to look nice again. What process did yall use to melt them down and re mold them. Torch, oven etc etc and what temp. Also what did u use to pour the molten lead into. A muffin type pan is what i was thinking but idk if that will work.

Thanks for the help guys!

Woody
Always do it ouside away from anything flammable, stay up wind, wear protective clothing, gloves and eye protection.
Anything you use for lead is used for nothing else

To melt I bought a 1 eye propane stove from Walmart, it is used just for this and nothing else
While i was in the camping section i bought a cast iron pot.

I then went to the cooking section and bought a Texas size muffin pan.

Set the stove so its secure
For the muffin pan set it on an old grill or oven rack DO NOT set it on concrete.
I got chevy V8 valves polished them and set them in the muffin pan, when the lead cools just tap them some they will come out and no drilling involved.
Melt the lead at a low temp and skim it once or twice with a large spoon

Try your local welding shop to see if they have a faster way. Mine let me barrow his melting pot. I used large muffin tins from walmart that poured out to 4.8 lbs after drilling the hole. Make sure you have welding gloves and vice grips.

I just build a good hot fire with oak wood, then after the fire burns down to where its just coals, ill set a cast iron pot full of lead on the coals and leave it for about an hour, come back and pour the lead from the pot into a large muffin pan, or onto a baking sheet if i am making sheet lead. Works perfect and no need to stand around with lead fumes the whole time. Lead poisoning can be very serious to your health, wear a painters mask or something like that to protect yourself from the fumes. Like XXX#40 said, anything you use for lead, is to be used for nothing else, including the clothes you wear during the process. Do not take them back into your house, leave them in the garage or shop if you can.

Keep everything dry--no moisture in your mold pan etc.---well ventilated area, outside is best. Welding gloves not a bad idea.

Yeah im aware lead is not something to mess with, I think i chewed on too many walls as a child and am really suffering now from eating all that paint! just kidding but thank you guys for the help!

I could have swore there was an old post about the fumes from melting lead were not as toxic as you think? Im not saying lock yourself up in a room and do it was just wondering if anyone had more info on this?

I worked at a indoor un range and had lead poisoning, had to stay off the range for 2 weeks. Lead is VERY SERIOUS!!! only do this outside!!!!!!

I used a turkey cooker melts in a hurry the longer you keep it hot the better it looks,and yes do it outside I found out that if you can find a stainless steal mold it does not stick and comes right out I have melted 5 gallon bucket full of wheel weight's in a cast iron pan just remember it get's heavy in a hurry so be careful how much you melt at once......

Back