Metal vs plastic fuel tanks on kart

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

I am thinking about swapping out the plastic fuel tank for a smaller/skinnier metal or plastic tank. Do metal tanks get too hot in the sun? Are plastic tanks better for extremely hot/sunny weather or is there really no difference?

I am thinking about swapping out the plastic fuel tank for a smaller/skinnier metal or plastic tank. Do metal tanks get too hot in the sun? Are plastic tanks better for extremely hot/sunny weather or is there really no difference?
My only thought, metal+asphalt+gas=fire.

Ive only seen Alcohol guys locally use metal. everybody else uses plastic. I imagine the metal is heavier.

I pretty much started the aluminum floor tank business in 1973. Mayko products was my company name.

As far as the fuel getting hotter in an aluminum tank versus a plastic tank, I have no idea. This I do know, leave the windows rolled up in your car on a hot day, what happens? That won't happen with an aluminum tank. I'm not sure on how long a plastic tank will last, but I see 30 and 40-year-old tanks that I welded and they're still in use. They do cost a lot more, will guarantee that. I have a friend in California who used to work for me and he's welded (still) a lot of tanks. The last one I bought from him was $150. That's why plastic tanks are so popular, they cost a lot less!! It's one of the reasons I don't weld tanks anymore!

Used both for years, either one works just fine. Heat is a non-issue. If it doesn't leak and you're just starting out I would use whatever I had and find speed oriented places to put that money.

If we're being nitpicky, aluminum likely stores the fuel better as light is one of the things that will slowly break down fuel. But youd be hard pressed to actually see a measurable difference. Either way I wouldn't recommend storing your kart for long periods of time with fuel in the tank.

I was thinking about putting on something smaller (shorter or skinnier) to help with knee room. The current tank holds way more gas than we need for racing and it's a little wide. But for now we are just going to re-install the seat with less offset so things are more symmetrical.

Personally i would go with aluminum tank... As plastic heats up and cools down it becomes brittle... The last thing you need is a tank leak or worse crack at the track...

Couple thoughts i have . Plastic can absorb compounds , which may lead too a fuel check failure .
Aluminum corodes with methanol which you dont use .
Still long term There is that possibilty, same as plastic deteriorates .
As far as heat you could throw a shop rag over it or kart cover .
We never had an issue with heat .

Tab Bell (he used to work for me back in the 70s welding tanks) is now duplicating these tanks. He welded the one in the picture recently. He can make that with a single outlet and without the site gauge if you want.

This tank originally came on the Emmick kart. I'm not exactly sure how much it holds, 1 gallon maybe a little less, Tab Bell can tell you.
408 452 7674

emmick tank.jpg

Back when we ran methanol in our flathead we used plastic jugs to keep it in due to the condensation created when using metal. So I personally would stick with plastic.

Back when we ran methanol in our flathead we used plastic jugs to keep it in due to the condensation created when using metal. So I personally would stick with plastic.
Strange that you would say that, I've never heard it from anyone. All road racing tanks use aluminum, never heard it from them either.

Maybe I'm not understanding you right, when used a condensation, what are you talking about? Inside, outside?

Ran the same plastic tank with methanol for almost 10 years. Never cracked, leaked, or failed a fuel test yet. And when we got it it had been used for a few years before that.

Methanol is similar to ethanol and both will attract moisture.

As a tech official using the Digatron Ft64 I Ha e learned that the fuel in aluminum tanks check 3-5 degrees cooler than plastic ( in direct sunlight ) several people at our local track run the aluminum tanks and when checking the fuel in those aluminum tanks if the probe touches the metal either on the sides or the bottom it will cause a false reading, and the smaller tanks racers are coming to post tech with very little fuel left in the tank making for impossible readings and image this... they get pissed when I make them pump me 5 ounces thru the fuel pump !!

Back