Methanol Price

Someone has been doing there home work,,good explanation
We ran Sunoco because we had to in our drag cars and the VP and Sunoco burn different. We can add a little more timing and fuel when running VP. When running sunoco everything has an oily film like inside the headers it is like an oily film because it is oil based. VP makes a little more power and we pick up about .05 mainly since we can add a few degrees and put a little more fuel in the car. I like VP better and so does my family and the motor builder. This is not for methanol i am just stating difference on standard race gas and any race gas from vp and sunoco.

Last edited:
We ran Sunoco because we had to in our drag cars and the VP and Sunoco burn different. We can add a little more timing and fuel when running VP. When running sunoco everything has an oily film like inside the headers it is like an oily film because it is oil based. VP makes a little more power and we pick up about .05 mainly since we can add a few degrees and put a little more fuel in the car. I like VP better and so does my family and the motor builder.
M5 has additives and will fail testing in stock classes.
The oil in Sunoco is the same thing added to M5, it's a lubricant a different kind but still added after the distillation process

M5 has additives and will fail testing in stock classes.
Correct. I should have stated that but at first I though we were talking about open motors. In my open/stock appearing motor I run M5 but in a motor that is in a stock class like flathead you should run only M1.

Methanol is CH₃OH doesn't matter how its made. if its not CH₃OH or has something added to it you are not racing with methanol your using a methanol based racing fuel blend and not legal for any sanctioned karting event . One methanol making more power than the other is because one is old, improperly stored and may have taken on water.

Heres this whatever it means .
1651605335151.png

There are also different grades of methanol. Ie race fuel vs medical grade. The difference is the purity and water content.
Similarly, you can even get rubbing alcohol from Walmart in different percentages (ie 70 & 85%.)

Back