Methanol top lube

Is it OK to run top lube in the methanol on my 2 stroke engine?
If the methanol that you are getting already has it pre-mixed, just consider that when you mix your oil to it. It will be on the "rich" side of oil if you use your standard ratio. That said, I wouldn't go leaning on your mix just because of the upper end lube that came in the fuel. Generally it's mixed about 8-16 ounces per 54 gallon drum.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If the methanol that you are getting already has it pre-mixed, just consider that when you mix your oil to it. It will be on the "rich" side of oil if you use your standard ratio. That said, I wouldn't go leaning on your mix just because of the upper end lube that came in the fuel. Generally it's mixed about 8-16 ounces per 54 gallon drum.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I saw someone say on here the other day they would never run upper end lube in the karts but didn't give a reasoning. Have you done any experiments with straight methanol vs methanol with lube to show any gains or losses?

I would think there wouldbe a reason .
As Mr. Carlson stated . If its 16 oz to 50 gallons thats (i believe 432 to 1).
Hardly enough to affect power .
A heavier mix may , but even 100-1 shouldn't affect it much .

I see no reason to not run it in karts (other than it will bounce you in fuel tech every time -- seen it happen MANY times.)
Alcohol is very corrosive by nature. Anyone running fuel injectors knows this. It eats into brass, aluminum, and magnesium (especially if it's allowed to set on it for a long period of time.) The injection on sprint cars have historically been mag, some have more recently gone to aluminum. Hard anodizing or plating prevents much of the corrosion caused by methanol on bare metal, but things like intake runners are still bare and show the effects of running methanol over time. The upper end lube certainly helps, and it sure helps on fuel pumps, especially cam driven pumps like we use on the sprinter.

Back