Micron 4 modification

mtbikerbob

I have several micron4 units and was looking to "update" one to read 2 temps, basically to a 2t. An email to AIM responded with "Its no longer possible to change those to a 2t" which tells me they used to do this? Is anyone aware of a way to modify an old 4 to read 2 temps, (EGT and CHT)?

I believe the only way to do it is getting the expansion box. Which costs as much as a used 2T. I too have looked into this and they do a real good job of making you pay the same to retrofit a 1 temp tach as you would on a 2T setup.

Alternatively, splice the 2nd T to a momentary switch and splice the jack to the switch, and hold down the switch for the less important (CHT) temp vs. normally being the EGT....

Alternatively, splice the 2nd T to a momentary switch and splice the jack to the switch, and hold down the switch for the less important (CHT) temp vs. normally being the EGT....
Ted, I thought about doing this as well, Have you done this or seen it done? There are stand alone temp gauges too, but they all seem a little cumbersome for use in a kart.

^^ No, but seemed the most likely method I'd try. Since thermocouples work via voltage differential, pick high quality components, though... I'd do some research online to see if K-type thermocouples will function this way...

Back