Might get into karting, doing some research

john2364

Hello,

I just joined the forum. I am a 31 year old gear head with a young daughter. I am currently just doing some internet research. Later I will rent some karts to see if this hobby is for us. Anyway, I am wondering about sprint vs oval karts. Specifically, can do oval karts compete on sprint kart races or vise versa? I have both track types near me.

John, where are you located? Typically, you would not run an oval kart on a road course and vise versa, simply because the dirt kart is designed to turn left, thus the term LTO (left turn only), now, it doesn't mean guys haven't done it without success, but if you are just starting out, might choice to stick with a straight rail kart for road racing. I have seen some straight rail karts compete just fine on dirt, but there are two factors, how competitive of a dirt track is it and what is the age of the straight rail kart? The older margay straight rails seem better on dirt then newer karts. I personally think racing on dirt ovals is more affordable and provides more competition, but that is in my area of the world, could be way different where you are. Best of luck, I can tell you, for a modest amount of $$$, you and your daughter could have a heck of a time kart racing, just try to enjoy it, don't strive to own the latest, greatest go fast parts and learn to drive a clean, straight line. The karting community is great, anytime we go to a new track, I have already made many friends via Bob's, it's a great place to get started!

-Matt

John, where are you located? Typically, you would not run an oval kart on a road course and vise versa, simply because the dirt kart is designed to turn left, thus the term LTO (left turn only), now, it doesn't mean guys haven't done it without success, but if you are just starting out, might choice to stick with a straight rail kart for road racing. I have seen some straight rail karts compete just fine on dirt, but there are two factors, how competitive of a dirt track is it and what is the age of the straight rail kart? The older margay straight rails seem better on dirt then newer karts. I personally think racing on dirt ovals is more affordable and provides more competition, but that is in my area of the world, could be way different where you are. Best of luck, I can tell you, for a modest amount of $$$, you and your daughter could have a heck of a time kart racing, just try to enjoy it, don't strive to own the latest, greatest go fast parts and learn to drive a clean, straight line. The karting community is great, anytime we go to a new track, I have already made many friends via Bob's, it's a great place to get started!

-Matt

X2 matt nailed it. Welcome to Bob's

Great thanks. I live in the Tampa area. I might have the terminology confused. I do not think that the local tracks are dirt. I think that the oval tracks are asphalt but that they go in a circle. So once I pull the trigger on a kart, would it be better to get a sprint kart? it seems like it would be easier to set up a sprint kart for oval than to set up an oval kart for sprint. what do you think?

hmmm, i think that the oval kart will always have advantage of the straight rail kart, whether it is dirt or pavement when turning left, but the straight rail would probably work better as a dual purpose over the LTO kart. If you can get a straight rail with removable seat struts and an adjustable caster/camber set up, you may be fine, that way you can adjust the seat/ setup. I think Coyote makes a straight rail chassis that would work well and they are made in the USA, because the other trick is to avoid buying a Euro built sprint chassis as you will have h@ll trying to use anything that is standard bolt pattern, which is was 99% of oval karts are. Here's any easy rule of thumb Euro built (non US bolt pattern) = every bolt on part cost x3 as much, not sure if it is supply demand or what, but spend 30 mins on Comet kart sales and start comparing the two.... There are quite a few veteran karters on here from N FL btw.

-Matt

How long till she discovers boys? That's an honest question (ask your self). I had 2 girls and have seen others racing as well and that's when the majority start to lose interest. That said the one who raced never wrecked a car the other at least 5 so its worth it even for a little while.

Lol flattop, she is only 5 right now. Hopefully I have a good number of years before that happens. Nonetheless, I do dread the day that she turns 12-13 but want to get in as much quality time until that happens. So this is probably personal preference but what do you guys think about sprint vs oval racing? I have read that Oval is much more popular in the states. Consequently, if I have to choose then Oval might be a better choice. Nonetheless, Sprint seems like it will be more fun because of the track dynamic. I will probably have to rent karts in both track types to try it out and see what I like. Why do you think that Oval is so much more popular?

Lol flattop, she is only 5 right now. Hopefully I have a good number of years before that happens. Nonetheless, I do dread the day that she turns 12-13 but want to get in as much quality time until that happens. So this is probably personal preference but what do you guys think about sprint vs oval racing? I have read that Oval is much more popular in the states. Consequently, if I have to choose then Oval might be a better choice. Nonetheless, Sprint seems like it will be more fun because of the track dynamic. I will probably have to rent karts in both track types to try it out and see what I like. Why do you think that Oval is so much more popular?
Tracks can be built just about anywhere.
Renting an oval kart will cost $$$$

Take a trip up to the Ocala Gran Prix track and rent the arrive and drive karts (http://ocalagranprix.com). They will provide you and your daughter with all the gear and the kart, just wear closed toe shoes. It will give you a great perspective of sprint racing in a not-so-bad rental. The cost is $14 for about 10 minutes.

You can also go to the Ambassador asphalt oval in Wimauna (no way I spelled that correctly). They have arrive and drives on certain days for their small concrete oval and are more than reasonably priced, check out their website http://racingkarts.com/ I understand the staff is all about getting the young ones involved in racing. They have a race school there too.

for your daughter she is at the age that she could run in the kid kart class and that class she can run both with just changing tires. the down fall of kid karts is they have to get a whole new kart as they get older and no parts will cross over. so in 2 years you have to pretty much start over. the one good thing is kid karts hold their value pretty good,with a full size kart you can move the seats and pedals to fit them and they can ride it for years. I would suggest tho that you pick one type and buy the kart to fit it. Jumping back and forth between sprints and ovals would just get to be more work then fun. if you want to mix it up try dirt and asphalt ovals which isn't near as much changing to the chassis itself as oval to sprint would be

Hello,

I just joined the forum. I am a 31 year old gear head with a young daughter. I am currently just doing some internet research. Later I will rent some karts to see if this hobby is for us. Anyway, I am wondering about sprint vs oval karts. Specifically, can do oval karts compete on sprint kart races or vise versa? I have both track types near me.

we started out with a sprint chassis on oval dirt and had good success but when we did get a lto kart is was like starting all over again took while for my son to get hang of it after learning how to drive in the sprint kart

We ran my nephew on a straight rail red plate trick chassis in clone and won the track championship two years in a row.

Hi John,

You wrote:
"I have both track types near me."

Don't be overly concerned about having tracks "near" you. You will find one of the most valuable things you'll get out of the experience, will be time spent to and from the track talking about racing's ups and downs. A half hour drive to and from the track in most cases is not enough. I think for most, racing's pre game and post game time with the team, happens on the road. ... :)

Back