mikuni 22mm lean issues built predator 212cc

highoctane

Hey guys looking for some assistance on a very annoying engine out of 40+ I've built

******EDIT FIXED**** blown head gasket issue resolved

motor specs:
212cc hemi
stock valve
11.5:1 compression
black mamba 275 cam
arc 32* flywheel
forged rod
26lb springs chromoly pushrods etc
mikuni 22mm

So whats the issue?
I started with a 130 main and 12.5 pilot and the motor ran strong with a couple hiccups towards top end. after 3 minutes of riding I noticed the engine extremely hot so I cut it and pulled the plug. super lean. I adjusted the needle clip in the richest setting still lean. I then turned the air screw multiple times trying to richen it up still lean.
I then went up to a 15 pilot with some hiccups on low end if I gave it full throttle. went to a 17.5 pilot even worse. both pilot changes included needle clip adj as well as air screw. motor still was extremely hot with worse hiccups on high and low end with larger pilots.

I bumped up to a 135 main which is strange since some of my big valve .310 lift motors run fine on 130 according to my golden brown plug and butt dyno.

I set everything to stock needle clip in middle and air screw 2.5 turns out. still no luck motor was extremely hot. I moved needle screw to richest position on the 135 /12.5 still no luck motor runs worse (more bogging and hiccups) than with the 130 main. I turned the air screw in half increments richer with still no luck and a baked engine after 3 min.

Could this be a timing issue? I have done exact setups with 32* of timing running great on the 130/12.5-15 setting???

below are pictures of my plug after no idle time and 3 wot pulls cutting motor after on the 135/12.5 setting with needle screw and air screw in richest positions.

I have checked for vacuum leaks, used a degree wheel for timing

motor ran best with the 130/12.5 combo but would cutout at about 7k and just hiccups and fall back.

Mainly im curious about why its still lean and or hot af! I have never seen a 140 main needed on this mild combo.

thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Soot on the steel, clean looking porcelain (fuels almost perfect) and a bit of blue right about half way back the ground strap (timing is right) tells me I about got er nailed. I dunno bud looks good to this gear head. You could fatten er up a bit to be safe but that looks good to me.

Is it a bona fidda Mikuni ?
A knock off type could have different needs, its pretty white , a bigger jet (huge) to confirm or high tech afr.
Air screw will not help wide open tuning.
air leak?
try the other carb that produces a brown plug.

yes its a chinese mikuni knock off usually don't have a problem with them on this mild combo but the over heating motor is whats scaring me. strange how it stumbles worse with the 135 main vs 130 sign still showing lean. I'll re check for air leaks thanks again. plug range is 7

yes its a chinese mikuni knock off usually don't have a problem with them on this mild combo but the over heating motor is whats scaring me. strange how it stumbles worse with the 135 main vs 130 sign still showing lean. I'll re check for air leaks thanks again. plug range is 7
So what CHT are you getting?

Back