Milling head

Fast51

Ive been messing around with an older clone engine i have to see how much power i can make with it, so i i have ported the head and want to mill it. Its the old greyhound "blue" engine. I also want to mill the head down and possibly take some off the deck of the block. I have the honda racing flat top piston in it which is .030" in the hole with stock steel head gasket which is about .008". Was wondering if anyone had any idea where to start on how much to take off the head and how much the piston will need to be in the hole. Thanks guys!

I would deck the block down to .016-.018 in the hole and knock about .060 off the head to start with . That way you still can use a single gasket and keep the piston a safe + - .024 from the head and get the head down to around 18 cc . Just a thought.

Just throwing in my two cents worth, why not get a ARC .020 longer rod , and get the head milled about .050 ...just saying that in case your still running a stock rod. JMO

How is everyone measuring the bump clearence here.

I use a flat edge and feeler gauge.
By my method I have noticed a couple of decks out of square with the bore.

On an unrealted engine project I use this same method to shim the cylinder to the crank case and mill the top of the deck and liner flush.
Then I mill the deck a further .020 so the liner pops up for a better bite on the fire ring using a very thick gasket ( and zero pop up ).
Engine is wet liner diesel, but the object is the same ( to get the piston square in the bore and quench as tight as possible ).

But if there is a better way to measure this I would like to know.....

I always bore off a mandrel through the crank bores, square the base and the deck off the same mandrel.

I have been want to build a system like 43 but haven't done it yet. that is what I did back in the flatty days. I use an angle plate to bolt the block to and then indicate the cylinder. No problems as yet.

Well guys thanks for being helpful, i been working on this thing at lunch at my work and so far i have ported the intake and exhaust, and today i fly-cut .050 off of the head. Im going to the Karting show this weekend to get some parts and was thinking of getting some 1.3 rockers for it as well. It has the CL-2 cam in it now which will give me about .327 lift with those rockers. So the question is now can i still afford to deck the block and take some more off the head? Or should i get a different cam altogether for it with more duration?

Pretty sure you will end up with .291 lift with the CL2 cam!
You could through a Mod2 cam in with the 1.3 rockers/ rocker 1.3 on the intake and have a pretty potent combo!

OK I may consider that just need to make sure I'll have enough piston to valve clearance is all. So if running the mod2 cam I should only run the 1.3 rocker on the intake? Also I'm assuming tgecmod2 cam has more duration which would definitely be a plus!

cant you 0 deck the block take .060 off the head or more and cut your valve clreance in the piston that would acheive the most compression

OK I may consider that just need to make sure I'll have enough piston to valve clearance is all. So if running the mod2 cam I should only run the 1.3 rocker on the intake? Also I'm assuming tgecmod2 cam has more duration which would definitely be a plus!
lots of guys on here LOVE the mod-2 with 1:3's. personally i dont like the combo, when we tried it, it just didnt work at all and didnt pick up a lick from stock 1:1 rockers, even after a fresh rebuild. jmo here, not saying it hasnt worked for many others. best lower lift cams ive seen here lately are the black mamba sr. and the dyno cm, even the dyno 275 cam are good and can run 1:1 rockers and run great

Ok i will definitely research those cams, i dont have a lift rule or anything i can pretty much run whatever i want to. I was just trying to make as much power as possible with what i have, and buy some small parts without having to shell out the money for a stroker kit. That said i bored the carburetor out to .641" today and did some polishing on the inside of it. Now I was wondering if anyone could help put me in the ballpark of starting jet size. It had a 58 jet in it when i pulled it apart. Also one of my friends brought up usuing fuel additive called "007" made by worldwide fuels. Wondering if anyone has ever messed with the stuff.

Back