Mini gear and driver setups?

jsf74

Im seeing these mini gear setups more and more lately and wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts on them. Kind of throws the largest driver possible theory out the window!

Im seeing these mini gear setups more and more lately and wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts on them. Kind of throws the largest driver possible theory out the window!
I'm wondering, does it? I've been aware of this "smaller gear set" idea for a while and have mentioned it several times. I'll be interested in what kind of responses you get. Thanks for the post.

We successfully ran mini drivers on a jack shaft UAS racing.

Did it for 3 reasons.

1. Reliability
2. Acceleration and to reduce rotating mass
3. We could run our drive chains to the axle directly above engine chassis rail.

I made my own before kart mini gears and hubs existed.

If someone is looking for this set-up, I have it for sale....I have a Sprocket Hub - 49T/50T/51T/52T sprockets - chain guide.....for #35 chain.

Last edited:

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 260
Ahh man ! Now I'm gonna have to buy all new stuff.
Not so fast....I believe they have a place but not everywhere you race. I can see the benefits on really small tracks or anywhere you may have a high rpm drop in the corners,somewhere there are long straightaways but really tight corners.

I was told it was all about friction and rotating mass. Smaller gears less tooth contact and most of all a much shorter chain. It all adds up.

I was told it was all about friction and rotating mass. Smaller gears less tooth contact and most of all a much shorter chain. It all adds up.
Yeah. That's what I see too. Less chain length/mass as well as the sprocket mass. Smaller diameter helps too.

Back