Mini gears

ratio's and gears alway bring up some funy discussion .
A 20/62 =3.1
A 51/17 =3.0
At 5000 RPM
With a 34" tire the 3.1 travels 54,838.6 inches
With a 34" tire the 3.0 travels 56,666.6 Inches
:) Or my Math sucks . ;)
19/57=3
20/60=3
18/54=3
and... are you saying a 3.0 is not achievable with regular gears?

ratio's and gears alway bring up some funy discussion .
A 20/62 =3.1
A 51/17 =3.0
At 5000 RPM
With a 34" tire the 3.1 travels 54,838.6 inches
With a 34" tire the 3.0 travels 56,666.6 Inches
:) Or my Math sucks . ;)
The trick here is to be able to turn target rpm with both combos,

Should be intuitive which is faster.

As stated, if able to pull off corner better allows you to run numerically lower ratio and still get same rpm, this should be the choice gearset.
Engine setup being complimentary also important.

I tend to agree with the large tracks large front drivers. But our experience on bullrings is different. It seems the smaller front drivers are better. Not sure if because more mistakes and breaks in momentum or maybe having to lift off the gas vs just holding it on the floor.

As the texasan pointed out the bullrings sure seem to like a 11 vs a 12

We just changed to the mini gear setup on our slacks and definitely found more speed at every track we race on. Nothing really changed in our tire game or other setup areas. I fought it for years and couldn't justify the cost, but our team owner bought sets for all karts and all have went consistently faster since ;)

We just changed to the mini gear setup on our slacks and definitely found more speed at every track we race on. Nothing really changed in our tire game or other setup areas. I fought it for years and couldn't justify the cost, but our team owner bought sets for all karts and all have went consistently faster since ;)
Thanks to all for the input.

Back