Mini Sprockets

Coop1

Former racer, so not new, but been out of it long enough I'm basically new. But have a decent understanding still. Mostly trying to help my young cousin out.

My cousin wants the mini sprocket set for his kart. He runs on a 3/8 mile dirt track.

Anybody have any experience with these? Curious what everyone thinks. He says he's getting beat out of the corners and thinks this will help "because everyone else is using them".

Anyone know if the gear sizing mimics the standard size sprockets?

Any info helps, thanks!

Former racer, so not new, but been out of it long enough I'm basically new. But have a decent understanding still. Mostly trying to help my young cousin out.

My cousin wants the mini sprocket set for his kart. He runs on a 3/8 mile dirt track.

Anybody have any experience with these? Curious what everyone thinks. He says he's getting beat out of the corners and thinks this will help "because everyone else is using them".

Anyone know if the gear sizing mimics the standard size sprockets?

Any info helps, thanks!
Are you sure about the track size? The mini gears would likely show an advantage coming out of the turn on a track with tight turns. I don't see the difference when running a 1000' track or roughly 3/16 mile. Some guys run them and others run the standard gears. You'll need a different sprocket hub to run the mini gears.

How much is he getting beat by? Unless you're confident that the chassis is right, tires are right, and the driver is doing their job I sincerely doubt you'll find the mini gears are the reason he's getting beat off the corner.

Something else is wrong. Mini gears won't solve the problem.
If you could get the track and all his set-up information, tires, motor/class, what gear he's on and prep we in this lovely community could probably get him going a little better.

please explain how it helps? i will not comment on this subject but would like to hear all the reasons mini gears are superior
No engineering or racing on paper explanation. On track racing results being very competitive in predator even when we run 375 lb class giving up 25 lb,only one finish not top two because of motor shutting off. We noticed that when we didn't set the pole or finished second, most of them we were on standard gears VS the pole setter and race winner being on mini gears. Plus testing of our own on 2 different tracks always a tick better lap times on mini gearing.

Thanks for all the comments so far.
So a few clarifications and additional information.
The track is actually a 1/7 mile. Don't know the details but he does run Maxxis Blues and Pinks. He's running Insanity Speed Elixir Prep, has 4 different types, uses them based on conditions. He is in the Super Heavy Class. Running a Clone motor. Drive gear is a 14. Rear gear is between a 61-63. He has 2017 PRC Recon Chassis.
He's generally very competitive (top 3) and has won a few races this past year. According to him "suddenly he cant keep up with them off the corner".

The track is actually a 1/7 mile. Don't know the details but he does run Maxxis Blues and Pinks. He's running Insanity Speed Elixir Prep, has 4 different types, uses them based on conditions. He is in the Super Heavy Class. Running a Clone motor. Drive gear is a 14. Rear gear is between a 61-63. He has 2017 PRC Recon Chassis.
He's generally very competitive (top 3) and has won a few races this past year. According to him "suddenly he cant keep up with them off the corner".
Clarification since it started not keeping up off the corner he's not near as competitive?
Which engine is he running ?
What max RPM is he turning ?

no really, I'm serious, can you tell me why they are an advantage? I am curious.
Honestly not sure why , 95 shaw explanation makes more sense to me than most of the others.
This topic for me is no different than set up changes. I don't have to know why, I just need to know they work. I'm not sold yet mini gears for clone, animal, or flathead, but predator and smaller plate classes I'm all in.

Mini gears wont fix this problem. Mini gears can have their advantages, but mini gears wont "fix" a problem.

We have been on minis now for 6-8 months we run clone .. I’m not a fan just yet .. I see them up front on the elite teams .. so monkey see monkey do .. but in my experience so far they work ok for us on smaller low bite tracks but once we get to larger high bite tracks I just don’t see the roll speed I’m looking for ( could b my tires )

I ran them one race with complete disappointment. the chain guards only work if you are using the smaller gear sizes. My chain came off several times as the chain guards and gears exhibit a lot of flex running on such a small hub. and I did not get to qualify or race the day I ran them. I went back to my favorite 4 bolt performance hub and guards.
95 Shaw's link discusses gear ratio and did not find anything in the way of mini gear vs Standard gear.
I would only ever use them if there was a mandatory driver rule and i needed to get below a 53 on the rear. as i have switched to clone these rules don't exist as does my need for mini sprockets.

We haven’t had any problems they were a pain in the butt to put on at first .. I’m thinking like this .. let’s say the Tasmanian devil the more speed he creates the more momentum he creates the more damage there is lol..

I ran them one race with complete disappointment. the chain guards only work if you are using the smaller gear sizes. My chain came off several times as the chain guards and gears exhibit a lot of flex running on such a small hub. and I did not get to qualify or race the day I ran them. I went back to my favorite 4 bolt performance hub and guards.
95 Shaw's link discusses gear ratio and did not find anything in the way of mini gear vs Standard gear.
I would only ever use them if there was a mandatory driver rule and i needed to get below a 53 on the rear. as i have switched to clone these rules don't exist as does my need for mini sprockets.
I'm not trying to insult you, but,, I probably will.
From this post, it appears there are 2 issues you had with running the mini gear setup.
Lack of planning. Not really knowing why you would run this setup to start with. Why have the expense of this setup unless you would use it to your advantage?

It sounds like you were trying to run the same driver as you would with regular gears.
Rotating weight is not the advantage of mini gears. If it were, I would ditch the gear guards first, for free advantage.

Other issue seems like poor maintenance practices.
I've never ran the mini gear setup, but I've never ran gear guards either.
If your level of attention to detail requires a crutch, a rethink may be necessay.
I, and my driver take it personal if we cannot drive under the checkered flag at any race we attend.

I've been racing karts, and big cars, sometimes both since 1989.
If you bothered to even try to follow the other thread, (I know it is a pain) you would at least have a better understanding of why you would want to run mini gears.
I would think the penalty for running a bare hub for the other setup would be minor.
If you think you want to run your original driver.

Jmho

Last edited:
I like them for smaller tracks. You get to run a smaller driver, smaller gear, and shorter chain for less rotating weight.

I really only notice a difference on tracks where lifting in the corners is required.

my equipment is very well maintained and the sprocket was set up with a laser and double checked. My engineer and I read the entire thread (and understood it) we feel lower chain tension outweighs any theoretical advantage you believe is associated running a small front driver. If you have never run the mini gear system I really don't understand your ability to comment on it or the state of peoples equipment you've never seen or met. you can have your theories and ill have mine.

jmho

I'm not new to the karting game either.

all the pros run gear guards they do more than just keep the chain on the sprocket

Back