Minimum weight driver

Ok why did we start having a minimum weight driver 200 pounds for heavy class why is there no minimum for 375 class if a 340 or 350 class is offered?

I can tell you why. Because the big guy's complained it's a big advantage for the smaller guy's adding weight putting it where they need to, so the 200 lb driver min is what they came up with. By buying into there theory the driver weight should be 225 min not 200.

Similar question but different lol. When I used to run supers when I was right at 200 my local track used to give me a hard time about total kart weight as I’d like to be safe on weight and have an extra 5lb on. 200 min driver weight 200 max kart weight for 400, me bolting an extra 5 on to be 405 was no good and persuaded me to use pocket weights which is also a no no. how come that isn’t maintained through all the classes? At that same track (as well as everywhere else) there were always those kids that are 90-100lbs running heavy.... how much do their karts weigh?

Don't think the intent has anything to do with causing any fuss, Just asking, pointing out why is it the only class when the same concept applies to other classes . Your assuming his post has something to do with the structure of the new series I don't think that has anything to do with it, the question is just in general why only that class.

Last edited:
I always believed it was to let the bigger guys run their classes without light weights adding lead to run against them. My 170# driver normally runs clone #375 but he’s not allowed to run #400 clone and we’re good with that, but he is allowed to run #400 FH and is really fast.

But, but, but... there's already 3 clone classes in a given race day to race that the OP is referencing. If there wasn't a driver weight rule for clone 400 and 425, would those have been your first choices to race in? You really would have added the extra 25 lbs just because? Or would it have been the standard 350 and 375 offerings, with the bonus of an alternating money 350/375 class?

Not sure what the real stink is here, having a minimum weight in the super heavy classes is the norm, EVERYWHERE. Just because its called clone 400 and clone 425 doesn't change what it is.

Causing a fuss to cause a fuss is fine, but why not just state that instead of trying to manipulate the scenario for the fun of it.
Sorry if me questioning a dumb rule rubs you wrong I know that's how it's done at most tracks question is WHY ...so answer the question...is it an disadvantage or not

And yes Cole I would ad the weight because I think it is an advantage to ad alot of weight low on the seat of course you already know it is

The super heavy classes usually are self sustaining and independent of normal entries in the regular classes. It’s no different than a different engine rule or champ classes. The 200 lb rule enforces that norm, because people abuse it for their own gain. That’s the answer. Everyone knows it’s an advantage, it has nothing to do with safety because if we wanted to stop the heavy karts you would, but that’s not the point.

Maybe a minimum driver weight should be in place for all classes ...or a maximum amount of lead that can be bolted on the kart

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but if I remember right, there was a WKA rule that stated something like “no more than 10 pounds on a bolt.” If this is an actual rule, I could see it being difficult for lightweight drivers to effectively mount that much lead to a kart to make weight

The heavy drivers got 1 maybe 2 classes to run .super heavy and sumo.
Theres no way for them to race in the 350 lb class and compete .

Back