Monticello LO206 gear

Going to the Monticello, FL sprint track for the first time. Looking for a starting gear ratio for Senior LO206 with #35 chain.

Try going up and down a few teeth on the rear and see what it does. I have found that we need go at least 2 teeth to really see a change. If your lap times get faster try 2 more teeth and check again.

We typically go with a ballpark setting based on passed experience at other tracks. Work on the kart to get the most out of it before the racing starts.. and usually end up dropping a tooth. Don't chase you gearing to turn a set RPM. Get as much RPM from the chassis and driver before changing a tooth...

That's my home track, I'm one of two adult 206 locals. I'm on a #219 chain but most run around a 3.30 to 3.70 gear ratio depending on conditions. In the 206, if your running full course clockwise, shoot for 1:10's. For a 206, that is truckin at Monticello!

Last edited:
That's about what I run too, don't feel bad. I missed last weekends race but I'll be there for the next months local. Plan on going their this Saturday 9/18 to practice since I haven't had any seat time what feels like forever.

Might not go tomorrow, 58% chance of rain. Might have to wait until the following Saturday 9/25 when the weather is clear. I'm drying to go out as I need some seat time to see if my chassis adjustments and new axle are going to work or not. Last time I ran, my kart was pulling to the right pretty bad.

Last edited:
I will be there. Nothing like putting on a set of rain tires and driving the kart in the manner that it was intended, fully sideways!

Don't know if you folks are on FB, but we have a small group of sprint guys on there and we just started, search: North Florida Lo206

Back