motocross chest protector

thornhill16

So my daughter has a chest protector with a neck brace built in anyone ever used one in kart racing here's a pic of what,it looks like

No offense to anyone, but that Leatt Fusion passed a more stringent testing protocol than the SFI standards for chest and neck protection.

I would check with the sanctioning body, or call Leatt and ask what the process is on SFI 57.1.

I have a couple of Armadillos for Junior Drivers and a couple of 360's - they are good stuff.

I also have a Leatt STX RR (Jason Britton signature model) for my use offroad motorcycling and mountain biking. I trust it completely.

Check - you already have great protection - why spend money. Most tracks still let you roll with a foam neckroll, really?

Briggs Poor... as you said, no offense meant, but....

I'm not finding a SFI 57.1 spec listed on the SFI Foundation site. I'll make a call Monday and see if there is/was a spec with this number.

They're not referring to the 38.1 spec are they?

Briggs Poor... as you said, no offense meant, but....

I'm not finding a SFI 57.1 spec listed on the SFI Foundation site. I'll make a call Monday and see if there is/was a spec with this number.

They're not referring to the 38.1 spec are they?

I don't think so, Leatt mentioned on their site that they were helping to formulate that standard, I couldn't find it either.

My thought was that since he had the MX protector, which passed a fairly stringent certification, and was also fairly expensive, he should check to see if it was approved.

Several years ago we were the first at our track to use the 360 device, not first with the Armadillo, but used them as well. It always amazed me that people had the money to dump into tires, but not enough to buy quality cervical protection. Same thing with helmets. Snell rating is Snell rating. At first I stored the helmets in the garage on a high shelf in pillow cases. I moved them the first time I dropped my grandson's helmet about 8 foot onto the floor. I also crushed that helmet and bought another - that is the beauty of a Snell rated helmet costing under 200.00 without a 300.00 custom paint job - it is a throwaway.

I just wanted to make sure you understood I am a very happy Valhalla customer and fairly serious about safety of the kiddos.

So.... after doing a bit of research and a conversation or two...

As I said, and you confirmed Briggs Poor, there is no SFI 57.1 spec. This "spec" actually never got past the suggestion/conversation stage.

It was also initially intended for motocross and specifically pertained to neck collars not chest protectors.

As for the Leatt Fusion passing "a more stringent testing protocol than the SFI standards for chest and neck protection" I'm sure is a statement coming from Leatt Corporation. The testing protocol that they are referring to I would bet is the CE certification - which is a European standardization of testing..

As for it being a more stringent test, I could very well be wrong, but doubt that the CE test requirements are more demanding than the SFI methods.

Keep in mind that in practically all the European countries, chest protectors and neck braces are optional in most, if not all, kart racing series.

Why would you have a more stringent testing method for something... that wasn't even a requirement?

By the way Briggs Poor... thanks for being a customer and taking kart racing safety seriously.

Thanks for the comment Familyman!

Back